Thursday 13 March 2014

Book Review - Sacrifice

Title: Sacrifice
Author: Jennifer Quintenz
Series: Daughters of Lilith (Book 3)
Publisher: Secret Tree Press
Release Date: 30 Jan 2014
ISBN-13: 978-0991522200 
ASIN: B00I5FPOY4

Synopsis
Just when Braedyn Murphy thought she understood the danger descending on her little town of Puerto Escondido, a new threat arrives. A cult devoted to Lilith has taken up residence in town, led by a charismatic old woman with more than one secret. When Cassie gets tangled up in the mystery, Braedyn realizes her two worlds are colliding. But if she’s going to stop Lilith and her Daughters from reclaiming this earth, Braedyn might not be able to protect her friends.
As her duties to the Guard become more difficult, Braedyn turns to Lucas for solace. They begin to wonder if now is the time to claim their one night together—knowing that one night is all they may ever have.
Darker forces have their own plans for Braedyn and the Guard. No one ever told Braedyn this battle would be easy—but how much can one girl be asked to sacrifice in order to save the world?
 


My Review
I fell in love with this series the first time I picked it up. I have been lucky enough to be given each book by the author in exchange for a review, and everytime she emails with the offer of the next book I literally squeal with excitement. There is no question as to whether or not I will accept - it's a straight up yes.
So I got sent this book and I joined it to the bottom of my rather long review pile (I haven't been accepting review requests for that reason but I had to take this one) I figured I would read the otehr books and be reading this one in a couple of months, Jennifer was fine with the wait so no pressure, but once I had it in my possession I couldn't wait. I tried to read one of my other books but couldn't focus -  I had to dive into this one.
I haven't had as much time to read lately so any time I do get is absorbed as I immerse myself in a book and this one I dived in head first.
Although it has been quite a while since I read book 1 and 2 this is a story that has stayed with me, I remembered who everyone was and what was going on. This is actually quite rare for me with the amount of books I read, but this one came straight back and I had no problem being thrown back into the action. Something about Jennifer's writing just resonates in my mind and pulls me in.
This book has a perfect mix for me - a great love story, some kick-ass action and fight scenes, then the other side of her life - the 'normal' side of school and dealing with 'popular' girls. Everything is presented in a way that you know it is relevant, everything adds together to make an awesome plot. 
Braedyn is a great character - full of self doubt, but also willing to step up and fight for what she wants, she is a very 'human' character in that you can relate to a lot of her situation (obviously not the whole demon/lilitu aspect but the rest is right there!)
I love that Royal and Cassie are included more in the story, I enjoyed seeing them come to terms with the world of magic and Lilitu and see what they could bring to Braedyn's side. Cassie in particular is a great character.
I also liked the hints of confrontation and the possibility of a traitor, may sound cliche but it was actually done really well.
To me this is a fresh, unique fantasy series, different from most of the others I have read and I love it. Totally gripping, just can't get enough sort of reading. I hope there is more to come in this series because I want more!

My Rating
   

No comments: