Monday 2 March 2015

Book Review - Cowgirl

Title: Cowgirl
Author: G Gemin
Publisher: Nosy Crow
Release Date: 6 Mar. 2014
ISBN-13: 978-0857632814

Synopsis
Growing up on the embattled Mawr Estate in South Wales, all Gemma sees are burglaries, muggings, sadness and boredom. With a dad in prison and a mum who has given up hope, she, like everyone around her, is holding on to memories of the times when happiness wasn’t so hard to find.

When her search for the scene of a perfect childhood day takes her up into the surrounding hills, Gemma is forced into a meeting with the legendary Cowgirl. Everyone at school knows she’s a weirdo: six foot tall and angry, the only conversations she has are with the twelve cows on her dad’s farm. But with her abrupt arrival in Gemma’s life, everything starts to look different. And with her only friends in mortal danger of the abbatoir, it turns out she and Gemma have a mission on their hands.  


My Review
This is once again a book on our Children's Book of the Year list, so one I had to read for work. I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, reading the blurb I thought it sounded odd and I have to admit I didn't have particularly high expectations for it. But I have to admit that I found myself really enjoying it and in fact read it in one sitting. 
I really liked Gemma and found her to be a very relateable character, she had a good sense of humour and a real feeling of honesty about her. She also really grows as a character throughout the book, as does the Cowgirl. Cowgirl was someone who I could really feel for and i felt myself connect with her and want everything to work out for her. 
The book was fairly light-hearted but covered some pretty heavy issues but it never felt like it was preaching at me or trying to teach me a lesson, it was just a good enjoyable read with some meaning to it. And I really loved the quirkiness of it.
I have to say this is one of the choices I have enjoyed the most so far and I am really glad I had to read it.  

My Rating
   

No comments: