Tuesday 26 May 2020

Book Review - The Eve Illusion

Title: The Eve Illusion
Author: Giovanna & Tom Fletcher
Series: Eve of Man (Book 2)
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Release Date: 16 April 2020
ISBN-13: 978-0718184148

Synopsis
Eve is the last girl on earth.
For the last sixteen years, Eve has been a prisoner. Guarded by the Mothers. Trapped by her fate. Watched by the world.
Until she took her chance, and escaped.
Eve finally has the freedom she has wanted for so long, and with Bram she has the love. But both come at a price. In this dangerous new world beyond the Tower, the regime are only ever one step behind. And together with the desperate rebel group fighting against them, Eve has found herself in more danger than she ever could have imagined.
With everything stacked against them, can Eve and Bram survive?
 


My Review
I read book 1 last week and was desperate to get stuck into book 2, I had to wait a couple of days for it to be delivered from Amazon, but luckily it came quite quickly and I got stuck in straight away.
This book starts exactly where book 1 ended, with Bram and Eve on the top of the tower and ready to jump to freedom. The main difference in this book is that we now have a third narrator to offer us a different point of view and a look inside the tower now that Bram and Eve have left - we are now given an insight into the life of Michael - the security guard we met in book 1 during the elevator scene. 
I actually really liked Michael, he has been pushed into the deep end and is still under suspicion for his previous behaviour, but now things are changing in the Tower, he has the chance to prove himself, but he is so unsure and confused of who he should be supporting and how to make everyone happen. I thought his vulnerability made him very approachable and I couldn't help but like him and want him to do the right thing and get away from Vivian's clutches. His chapters were always quite dramatic and fast paced and I found myself wanting to know more.
In terms of Eve, she developed a lot as a character in this book, now that she has the freedom to explore and know the truth of the world. She stops being the 'mother's' little doll and starts to become an actual person with her own opinions and thoughts. She annoyed me at times as she would be really stubborn and pig-headed without listening to the thoughts of those around her who perhaps would know better, but then her fiery passion and impulsiveness is also one of her appealing features. 
Bram is still my favourite character and continues to be the character you can't help but root for, the one you want to get the girl, defeat his wicked father and just have a peaceful existence - like that's ever going to happen!!!
This book follows the band of 'Freevers' as the try to get used to life with Eve among them and plan moves for the future, it also shows us developments within the tower, namely the fate of Bram's best friend and roommate. 
I read this book in about 2 days, I just wanted to know what would happen. It was overall perhaps a bit slower in places than book 1 was, but I was never bored and there were enough twists and turns to keep me interested. Overall I liked the pacing of the book and there were a few surprises I didn't see coming. The very end - was quite predictable i thought, but the whole Vivian thing really threw me off - did not expect that at all!
I think this is a great book for the  YA audience, and although I am not the target reading group, I still really enjoyed it and cannot wait for book 3 - I can't believe I have to wait the best part of a year for it! :(  
On the whole this is a really good sequel to the first and really builds to what will hopefully be a smashing trilogy. I would definitely recommend this series. 

My Rating
 
   

No comments: