Sunday 10 January 2021

Book Review - Unravel Me

 

Title: Unravel Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Series: Shatter Me (Book 2)

Publisher: Harper Collins

Release Date: 5th February 2013

ISBN13: 9780062085535

 Synopsis

It should have taken Juliette a single touch to kill Warner. But his mysterious immunity to her deadly power has left her shaken, wondering why her ultimate defense mechanism failed against the person she most needs protection from.
She and Adam were able to escape Warner’s clutches and join up with a group of rebels, many of whom have powers of their own. Juliette will finally be able to actively fight against The Reestablishment and try to fix her broken world. And perhaps these new allies can help her shed light on the secret behind Adam’s—and Warner’s—immunity to her killer skin.
 

 

My Review

I finished book 1 and felt intrigued enough to know what would happen next, Juliette is now at the base for people with special powers, basically home of the Rebels, and she seemed to be happy, but book 2 starts with her once more withdrawing into herself and feeling sorry for herself. There are poeple around who wish to help her but she seems to refuse to open up and let them know her. The only person she will be around is Adam but even he is starting to act strange and won't tell her whats wrong. 

There is a lot of the book where not a lot really happens, people train and discover powers, but Juliette still can't do anything with her. The book still reads quite quickly but it feels like it's pages and pages of Juliette moaning and crying about her life. No-one understands her, life is so hard, her power is horrible, what if she hurts someone, why is Adam pulling away from her, why can't she just be normal, my past is so horrible etc etc etc. I wanted to shake her and tell her to get over herself!!! Then the best part of the book - Kenji gives up his time to try and help her and Juliette continues to be her usual whiny, self-deprecating self, so Kenji delivers some harsh truths and basically reminds her that she isn't the only one with issues or feelings and to basically grow the hell up! YAY!!!! Thank you Kenji - the voice of reason and sense, and by far now my favourite character, which is odd because I couldn't stand him in the first book.

There are some exciting bits to this book, some battles they go out and get caught up in, some drastic moves by both sides and Juliette shows she can take control when faced with Anderson. Then the end of the book where things get serious and you actually wonder if they will all make it through and wonder just what Warner is actually going to do in the future - will he finally make a decision about what he wants to be.

I can't decide if I like Warner or not, every time I start to warm to him, he then acts like a total prat again, but at least it makes him more 3D. I think I am actually more intrigued about his story that I am about Juliette.

My main issue with this book is that I am really starting to dislike Juliette and the whole 'love triangle' thing, she is constantly obsessing over whether or not she can ever truly be with Adam or will she just hurt him, and then in the next breathe she is obsessed with Warner and desperate for him to open up to her and be with her but then, oh yeah, he's a psychopath and how can she love someone so monstrous. I mean - get a grip girl!!

I think book one was better plot wise, it certainly moved more, although the parts of plot that were focused in this book were much more exciting. Every character in this book grows a lot and really start to develop as individuals - apart from Juliette.

I am interested enough to try to read book 3, but I am not holding out much hope. I know this is actually a 6 book series, but something extraordinary is going to have to happen to keep me reading for that long.

I am truly mixed about these books, get rid of the self obsessed teenage angst and they would be really good. I am going to hold judgement for now...

 

My Rating


 
 
 
 

No comments: