Friday 2 August 2013

Book Review - Bec

Title: Bec
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Demonata (book 4)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 4 Jun 2007
ISBN-13: 978-0007231393

Synopsis
As a baby, Bec fought for her life. As a trainee Priestess, she fights to fit into a tribe that needs her skills but fears her powers. And when the demons come, the fight becomes a war.
Bec's magic is weak and untrained, until she meets the druid Drust. Under his leadership, Bec and a small band of warriors emabark on a long journey through hostile lands to confront the Demonata at their source. But the final conflict demands a sacrifice too horrific to contemplate ... 

My Rating
I'm back with Darren Shan's books :D 
At once I felt the excitement and fast pace of the story and writing pull me in and I was off, racing through the pages absorbing every word and desperate for more. 
These books really are addictive, they just grab you and make you want to read on. 
This is throwing me off a bit though, book 1 featured Grubbs Grady as our main hero, book 2 moved to follow Kernel Fleck and worked as a prequel, book 3 was then back with Grubbs and now book 4 follows Bec and is set even further forward than book 2 was, it seems to be that every other book journeys back into the past to set up a bit more of the history and the world. It's a strange way of doing things but it also sort of works, it keeps you hungering for Grubbs' story but also makes you want to know what's coming in this book.
And I have to say that I think this book is my favourite in the series so far, I love the way the world is set up and the writing is so rich that it felt like it was coming off the page, I could picture everything clearly and all the characters too, it was like watching the movie in my head whilst I read! :D
These books are quite spooky and dark in places and some points had me cringing and wishing my imaginations wasn't so good. If someone had told me even 5 years ago that I would be reading books like this I would have laughed and told them they were mad, but I am really glad I gave them a try and it's a sign of how much my reading tastes have changed that I love these books so much.
I can't wait for the next one. 

My Rating

 

No comments: