Tuesday 24 December 2013

Book Review - Rules of Attraction

Title: Rules of Attraction
Author: Simone Elkeles
Series: Perfect Chemistry (book 2)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Release Date: 1 Oct 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0857070432

Synopsis
When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado. Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

My Review
After being told a number of times by a friend that I would love Elkeles' books I finally gave in and read 'Perfect Chemistry', which I ended up really enjoying. So when I saw book 2 on the shelves at work I decided to pick it up and give it a go. It's been a couple of months since I read book 1 but as soon as I started to read this one everything started to come back to me. 
This book follows Carlos who is Alex's younger brother, and a girl named Kiara. This story takes place about 2 years after the events of book 1 which of course followed Alex and Brittany. I was pleased that Alex and Brittany feature quite a lot in this book and are involved, brought some of the familiarity of the first book back.
Carlos has been sent back to America after living with his mother and younger brother in Mexico for the past 2 years, he has to stay under Alex's watchful eye, but he doesn't want to follow Alex, Carlos wants to make his own choices, his own mistakes. I wasn't sure about Carlos at first, he is very cocky and self-assured and irritated me a bit with his bad attitude, but that is how he is supposed to come across, that is his character, and as the book progresses he really develops as a character and I found myself starting to like him.
Kiara is practically the opposite of Carlos, nervous, shy and rather unsure of herself, but when it comes to the rules of attraction there are no limits. 
I liked to see the relationship between the two of them develop, with it's ups and downs. Nothing was instant and they had their share of problems. I also liked how everything tied together, Kiara's background and family, Carlos' problems and background and the other characters that make an appearance.
I found myself addicted to this book, I started it at about 5 o'clock and I had finished it by 8:30. I just couldn't put it down. Something about Elkeles' writing just draws you in and won't let go, making the book really easy and enjoyable to read. 
I have now requested the next book and I can't wait to read it.

There are mentions of drugs, violence and sex in this book so maybe not suitable for younger readers.

My Rating
 

No comments: