Friday 7 November 2014

Book Review - Dystopia

Title: Dystopia
Author: Anthony Ergo
Series: Dystopia (Book 1)
Release Date: 7 July 2014
ASIN: B00LMAWUYG
ISBN-13: 978-0956121318

Synopsis
It's Friday the Thirteenth and it's Sasha Hunter's birthday. It's also the anniversary of Dystopia day; a catastrophic world-wide blackout, and the day Sasha's mother disappeared. Three years on, the world has started to recover. But for Sasha, everything is falling apart... 

My Review
I picked this book up in the Summer at the London Film and Comic Con- they had a massive author festival alongside it and Anthony Ergo was there. This book looked good and I had a quick chat with him, then decided to give this book a try. But I've been manic busy ever since so only just got round to reading it.
Sasha is very superstitious and she hates the number 13, this isn't helped by the fact that there was a world wide disaster on the 13th three years ago, a disaster that caused her mother to disappear and the world to go mad. 
But now Sasha's life is going to change again, she finds herself in a world she could never have imagined, facing things she never thought she would have to face.
I wasn't really sure about the book when I first started it, but soon found myself wanting to know more and racing through the pages, I found myself liking Sasha and enjoying her narrative, she's got a good sense of humour and is quite down to earth. 
The story took a few twists and turns that I didn't expect but each time it pulled me deeper into the story. Although I have to admit that I sussed out the bad guy pretty quickly, he was the perfect villain presented as a good guy. Maybe it was supposed to be that easy to work out but it meant that there wasn't really a surprise, although the side-kick did become more than i expected.
I really liked Sasha's companions, Zara and Aaron they made a great team and broadened out the world. They all work really well together but like any teenagers still have the odd fights and make some mistakes.

There is a real mystery element to the book and it's quite creepy in places but I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere of the book really draws you in and helps set the scene. And in the end I have to say I really enjoyed the book. The second one in the series 'Hysteria' has just come out and I have downloaded it on my kindle app ready to read, I want to know where Sasha ends up next.

My Rating
 
   

No comments: