Thursday 25 December 2014

Book Review - Take Me On

Title: Take Me On
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits (Book 4)
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Release Date: 6 Jun 2014
ISBN-13: 978-1848452909

Synopsis
Champion kickboxer Haley swore she'd never set foot in the ring again after one tragic night. But then the guy she can't stop thinking about accepts a mixed martial arts fight in her honor. Suddenly, Haley has to train West Young. All attitude, West is everything Haley promised herself she'd stay away from. Yet he won't last five seconds in the ring without her help.
West is keeping a big secret from Haley. About who he really is. But helping him fighting for her is a shot at redemption. Especially since it' s his fault her family is falling apart. He can't change the past, but maybe he can change Haley's future.
Hayley and West have agreed to keep their relationship strictly in the ring. But as an unexpected bond forms between them and attraction mocks their best intentions, they'll face their darkest fears and discover love is worth fighting for.


My Review
I love Katie McGarry's books, she is one author I will always pick up no matter what. I never thought she would be my type of book, as I usually head towards fantasy and paranormal, but I have actually discovered I quite like contemporary romance and Katie is the cream of the crop when it comes to contemporary.
This is the fourth book set in the world of the Pushing the Limits novels, they are all individual stories following different characters but some of them do cross reference to the other books so it will make more sense if you read them in the order they came out but you can follow it without. But really why wouldn't you read them all, they are fantastic books and well worth a read.

This book follows Hayley and West. Hayley used to be a champion kick boxer, she had won titles and was the top of her game, but then something happened, something that changed it all and she swore never to enter the ring again, never to fight anyone again and never to get involved with boys who trained as fighters. But an old grudge still stands between Hayley, her ex boyfriend and her brothers. Then new boy West gets involved, he's new to this area but gets thrown in at the deep end. When he agrees to a fight in order to protect Hayley, he's not got much hope of winning, but maybe if they work together they can pull it off. But both of them have secrets, problems at home and things they don't want the other to know. They must get past all of that and then maybe they have a hope of winning, or at least not getting killed!
I started reading this book and was immediately thrown straight back into the world, although it's been quite a while since I visited, this book has been out for a while but somehow I missed it. It was only when I saw the announcement for the new book coming out this month that I looked back at the ones already out and realised I hadn't ever got a copy of this one. I requested it straight away and moved it to the top of my pile. 
It was nice to see Isaiah and Rachel feature again and made everything tie up nicely, it even answered some questions I had about how their story ended which was an added bonus. 
I loved Hayley as a character, she is dealing with some pretty bad things and has no one she can really tell. Everything is piling up on her but she refuses to quit. She is naturally tough, and although she has moments where she breaks down - these just make her so much more human. I felt like she was the sort of girl I would have been friends with at school, if I wasn't scared of her tough exterior that is! 
She has a very level head and a very loyal heart, she will do anything to try and keep her family together and just do the right thing. 
West is more of an unknown, and although he plays the tough guy bit, he is actually very caring and sensitive, most of the fights he gets into are because he is trying to protect someone he loves, and once he's met Hayley this is no different. He can tell that she is the type of girl who can take care of herself, but he can also see through her facade and realises she needs someone at her side too. 
The pair work well together throughout the book, they have a fair share of arguments and fights but you can really feel the romance blossoming between them.
Katie McGarry is one of those writers who writes 'real'. the situations, the characters, the world. It all just comes to life on the page and makes you feel like you know the people and could just step through the pages of the book into their world.
I literally read this in one sitting, after saying I would put the book down and go to bed, I ended up sitting for a further 2 hours and finishing the whole thing. I just couldn't walk away, and everytime I considered it something would pull me back.
These books really are amazing and will make you have serious feels!
Maybe not appropriate for some younger readers due to the issues involved such as abuse. But otherwise I would recommend it to all!

My Rating
      

No comments: