Friday 16 January 2015

Book Review - Frostfire

Title: Frostfire
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Kanin Chronicles (Book 1)
Publisher: Tor
Release Date: 15 Jan. 2015
ISBN-13: 978-1447256649

Synopsis
Will she give up her dream to follow her heart?

Bryn Aven is determined to gain status amongst the Kanin, the most powerful of the hidden tribes. But as a half-blood, winning respect is a huge challenge. Bryn's almost-human community distrusts people, and those from other tribes are almost as suspect.
She has just one goal to get ahead: to join the elite guard protecting the Kanin royal family. And Bryn's vowed that nothing will stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss, Ridley Dresden.
But her plans are put on hold when fallen hero Konstantin starts acting dangerously. Bryn loved him once, but now he's kidnapping Kanin children - stealing them from hidden placements within human families. She's sent to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?


My Review
I received an email advertising this book and it offered a copy of the book in exchange for honest reviews. At first I almost didn't reply - I read Amanda Hocking's first trilogy the "Switched" series and struggled a bit with it, although I know I enjoyed it in the end. So I decided it could be worth a try. I received my paperback copy (Thank you very much!) just after Christmas and thought straight away how gorgeous the cover was, all of Hocking's books always have such beautiful covers but I particularly loved this one. The striking red of her coat against the snowy back drop, just wow.
Anyway, I was a bit worried then that I wouldn't remember enough of the original series and this wouldn't make sense but don't worry there - you don't have to have read that series for this to make sense. If you have read them then you will recognise some names and possibly characters but if not then it's fine - this works perfectly as it's own stand alone series. Everything needed is explained and introduced and then you are off and away.
I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, I don't have a lot of time to read at the moment so I have to snatch it when I can and unless I am hooked in a book I tend not to pick them up as much, but with this book I was immediately hooked and couldn't stop squeezing in every moment I could with it. 
The book starts off with a big event that gets you to know the main character - Bryn and makes you want to know more about what just happened and what is to come. 
We then follow Bryn as she seeks out answers, followers orders and breaks a few rules all whilst trying to find out the truth behind all these events and whether or not they are chasing the right guy. 
This book is a magical fantasy mixed with a little bit of a mystery crime story and it's woven together beautifully. Bryn is a fabulous character - quite fiery at times and she has a bit of a temper to her but she is also loving, caring, loyal, impulsive, quick thinking and brave. I really liked her attitude and dedication and we even glimpse at her vulnerable side. Although I would have liked to see a bit more about some of her personal issues, and I'm hoping we see more of her in the next book. But as a character she does keep her emotions close to her chest so who knows. I have a feeling she is a softy under that tough exterior.
The book is fast paced and is a real page turner, I just had to keep reading and in the end finished it a lot quicker than I thought I would. 
I am so pleased with this book and excited to see more - I will be waiting for the next book to come out eagerly and am so glad that I chose to give this a chance and grateful for the publishers for sending me a copy. 
Definitely worth a look!
  
My Rating  
  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also just finished this book and really enjoyed it as well. Though I kinda wish things were resolved a little bit more in the end. But with the second book coming out in May in the US, it's not all that bad!! Great review!

Stop by my blog @ Addicted Readers
http://addictreaders.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you, I didn't really like Amanda's books so I don't really feel like picking this up. But after your positive review, I guess it might be worth checking out. Glad you enjoyed!

-Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

barmybex said...

Hi Alicia - I know what you mean about the ending but I'm hoping book 2 will resolve a lot of that. Thanks for stopping by :)

Hey Kimi, I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. Hope you enjoy it. This one is definitely worth a try. :)