Wednesday 20 July 2011

Book Review: The Secret Garden

Title: The Secret Garden
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Publisher: Wordsworth Editions Ltd
Release Date: 1 Feb 1993

Synopsis
Mary Lennox was horrid. Selfish and spoilt, she was sent to stay with her hunchback uncle in Yorkshire. She hated it. But when she finds the way into a secret garden and begins to tend it, a change comes over her and her life. She meets and befriends a local boy, the talented Dickon, and comes across her sickly cousin Colin who had been kept hidden from her. Between them, the three children work astonishing magic in themselves and those around them.

My Review
I bought a copy of this book ages ago but never got round to reading it. I have an event coming up at the library that is based on this book so I thought I had better read it. I have seen the film (the version with Maggie Smith in) and it's one of my favourites.
The book is definitely a classic, it's full of life and magic. Mary Lennox is a horrible child, but maybe she is that was by circumstance - her parents ignore her, nobody talks to her. when her parents die, she is moved to England to stay with her uncle in an old manor house. There she learns what life can really be like with friends around you.
I love how you see Mary grow as a person and find a love of life. Dickon is a lovely character and I adore his charm of the animals in the garden. Colin is a very disagreeable child, but soon comes to life with Mary's help. He's still a bit full of himself - but it made me laugh.
Overall this book is a great read and I can see why it's lasted so long, and I think it will go on for many years to come.

My Rating
I would give this book 8.5/10. A great magical read, coming of age story.

2 comments:

Annette Mills said...

After reading your review I realized that I don't think I've ever actually read this book. I did see the movie, and thought it was very good -- but I really should read this some time. Thanks!

barmybex said...

I love the movie - but the book is definitely worth a read.