Tuesday 17 September 2013

Book Review - Model Misfit

Title: Model Misfit
Author: Holly Smale
Series: Geek Girl (book 2)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 26 Sep 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0007489466
ASIN: B00BVT5676

Synopsis
“My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”

Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.
What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.
With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.
Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.
Can geek girl find her place on the other side of the world or is Harriet lost for good?


My Review
Back in March I got an email asking if I would like to read a new book called Geek Girl, being a self-confessed Geek I was definitely interested and the book sounded great. I received my copy and I read it very quickly and fell in love with it. You can read my review of that one here. I couldn't wait for more from Holly and have been on the lookout ever since, so imagine my excitement when I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking if I would be happy to review book 2. Totally made my day and I agreed in a heartbeat. 
The book arrived on Friday but I was away for the weekend. It sat calling to me and by lunchtime Monday I couldn't wait anymore, I sat with my lunch and got stuck in, quickly disappearing into the pages. When it came time to go back to work I didn't want to leave it. I got home in the evening and just sat and read until I had finished it. Nothing could have pulled me away by this point.
Life hasn't got much better for Harriet, she is still a Geek and unpopular at school. She may be a model now but nothing seems to impress her fellow classmates. 
When her plans for what is supposed to be the 'best summer ever!' are ruined, she is devestated until the opportunity to go to Japan arises. This could be her chance to start anew, make a go of things and maybe finally grasp how the whole modelling thing is supposed to work. But life is never that simple and things start to unravel once more.
I really like Harriet, she totally reminds me of myself, she does her best and tries really hard but always ends up doing something wrong or falling over. I was never as brainy as Harriet, never will be, but I love all her little facts, and for someone so clever, she can be really stupid, which only makes me like her more!
Then there are the characters round her, the best friend is a bit of an air head but really cares about Harriet, her 'stalker' Toby makes me laugh, he is so obvious and hasn't got a clue but is totally sweet, then we have Nick. Nick, Nick, Nick, he is a cause of many problems for Harriet but also the solution to others, I couldn't decide whether I liked him or not, but then neither could Harriet really! He does have charisma though and you can't help but want them to work it out. 
Her agent still made me laugh, he makes the most ridiculous comments and calls people by a multitude of names but it's just his big personality. If I knew him in real life I would tell him to go away and be quiet, but in this book, it's great. 
I absolutely adore this series and I cannot wait to know more and see what craziness Harriet gets into next. 
Holly Smale has written a totally relate-able character and someone you will instantly love. Her writing flows and is so easy to get lost in. This is definitely one of my top series of the year! Can't wait for more. 

Find it online:
www.facebook.com/geekgirlseries
     
My Rating
  

No comments: