Monday 4 June 2012

Book Review - Last Chance

Title: Last Chance
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 3 Sep 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0340997499

Synopsis
Colie expects the worst when she's sent to spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Mira while her mother, queen of the television infomercial, tours Europe. Always an outcast-first for being fat and then for being "easy"-Colie has no friends at home and doesn't expect to find any in Colby, North Carolina. But then she lands a job at the Last Chance Café and meets fellow waitresses Morgan and Isabel, best friends with a loving yet volatile relationship. Wacky yet wise, Morgan and Isabel help Colie see herself in a new way and realize the potential that has been there all along.


 My Review
This was one more Sarah Dessen book to tick off my list. I am slowly working my way through them. I would definitely say I am a fan. A lot of the books are somewhat similar, but different enough that I can enjoy them.
I mainly chose this one next as it was fairly short and i wanted a quick read, but this book packs quite a bit in so few pages. 
Colie is quite negative, always looking down on herself, always expecting the worst and willing to live life in the shadows, determined to be almost invisible. She and her mum used to be fat, but now her mum is an international fitness superstar and they are both skinny, but Colie still feels like that vulnerable fat kid. She has to learn to be confident in herself before others can see it too.
Whilst staying with her aunt she gets a reality check, from the two girls at the coffee shop Morgan and Isabel who are quite over the top, romantic and cynical, to Norman the eccentric artist and of course her wacky aunt. They all help her discover who and what she really wants to be.
I know this sounds like one of those books that shoves a lesson down your throat, like 'love who you are' etc, but it really doesn't. The message is there of course, but it's presented in a good way, subtle and fresh.
Morgan irritated me a bit, drooling over a guy who wasn't even around and was obviously cheating on her, she would go hot and cold with him, really happy and then heartbroken, it was a bit over the top.
Isabel had a massive attitude, but I actually liked her, she had sass and would tell it like it is.
I actually ended up really enjoying the book and it did make me think about perception. Do I worry or care about what other people think of me? yeah i do, actually quite a lot. Does it really matter what they think of me? probably not in the long run. 
Sarah Dessen just has that way with words, she'll sweep you up into a journey and take you along for the ride, and you'll have a blast!

My Rating
  



















 

No comments: