Monday 30 June 2014

Book Review - Cauldron Spells

Title: Cauldron Spells
Author: C.J. Busby
Series: Spells (Book 2)
Publisher: Templar
Release Date: 1 Mar 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1848770850

Synopsis
Max Pendragon is not looking forward to attending Morgana Le Fay’s summer Spell School. Not only is his battered cauldron producing slimy sludge instead of perfect spells, but ever since he and his sister Olivia foiled evil Morgana’s plot against King Arthur, they have been wary of her plans for revenge.

Max and Olivia soon discover that Spell School has more in store for them than they ever imagined. With the help of Merlin and a mysterious bard, Caradoc, will they be able to outwit Morgana and save Arthur for a second time?


My Review
Well after reading the first book I was intrigued and as these books are so simple and short I thought I might as well read the rest of them. And I have to say I actually enjoyed book 2 more. I don't know if it's just because I know the characters now and feel more involved in the world but everything just seemed to flow better and happen quicker. 
Max is now on his way to spell school, a whole summer in Morgana's home and having to attend her lessons, Max is sure she is still out for revenge for him ruining her plot in the first book. And just as expected, things don't go as planned. Olivia comes along with Max but disguises herself as a boy so that she can attend Squire training, she's determined to be a Knight. Then they find out about another plot to harm Arthur and they must try to stop her and Hogsbottom before it's too late.
There is a lot more magic in this book and everything seemed a bit more exciting and urgent and I really like Olivia, she is developing a lot as a character and I like her attitude. Strong and Confident and not afraid to go after the things she wants.
I'm looking forward to seeing more from Merlin and Arthur as they aren't massively featured.
Good for younger or reluctant readers and very fun. Sweet little stories full of magic.

My Rating
    

No comments: