Tuesday 17 June 2014

Book Review - City of Lost Souls

Title: City of Lost Souls
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book 5)
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 6 Sep 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1406337600

Synopsis
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


My Review
If you've read my reviews of the earlier books in the series you will know that I have struggled a bit with it and I wasn't sure whether or not to continue. I did pick this book up but have to admit that I got to page 80 and got fed up with it and decided to call it a day. I sent the book back to the library and gave up. I decided not to do a did not finish review as I hadn't really got far enough in to be bothered and it just felt mean.
But then last week I got home from work to discover a parcel on my door. Inside was a copy of Book 6 'City of Heavenly Fire' sent to me by the publishers. This book is massive and it made me reconsider, I felt like I should read them if someone has gone to the trouble of sending me a copy for free, as I want to show how grateful I am. Therefore I logged onto the Library Website and requested Lost Souls again.
I did a 10k run on Sunday in aid of Race for Life which raises money for Cancer Research, now I am definitely not a runner and I could barely move afterwards, having completed all 6 miles in 1hr14minutes. So I sat down in the evening and decided I might as well make a start on this book. Intending to only sit there for an hour at most I was actually there for almost 3 hours and I had finished the entire book and couldn't move afterward as my leg muscles had seized!
I can't explain it, but having a break from the series clearly did me some good, I don't know, maybe I was in a better mood or something, but this time I actually found myself sort of enjoying it, I certainly got stuck in and wanted to know what would happen.
I still thought bits of it were a bit silly, Sebastian really annoys me with his snarky comments and Clary is a lot more hesitant and unsure in this book and at times I would quite have liked to have given her a good slap and told her to snap out of it and move on, or DO Something!!!
However I did think the plot was quite captivating and I was rooting for Clary to get Jace back. I was more intersted in Isabelle, Simon, Maia and Jordan though, I found myself looking forward to their stories more and seeing where the book would take them. Simon is definitely my favourite character and just keeps growing. 
This book by no means blew my mind but I did find myself enjoying it and I'm glad I went back to it. So now I move on to Book 6 - all 733 pages of it! :O

My Rating
    
 

No comments: