Tuesday 3 June 2014

Book Review - Who Could That Be At This Hour?

Title: Who Could That Be At This Hour?
Author: Lemony Snicket
Series: All The Wrong Questions (Book 1)
Publisher: Egmont
Release Date: 23 Oct 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1405256216

Synopsis
Before you consider reading "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you curious about what is happening in a seaside town that is no longer by the sea?
2. Do you want to know more about a stolen item that wasn't stolen at all?
3. Do you think that's any of your business? Why? What kind of person are you? Really?
4. Who is that standing behind you?


 My Review
I have always been a massive fan of Lemony Snicket - A Series of Unfortunate Events is one of my all time favourite series, so when I saw that he had written something new I got really excited and knew I would have to dive in. I bought myself a copy but didn't get round to it for a while, we then had Book 2 come in at the library so I decided to read them both. I've also picked this book as my next read for my Children's Book Group, so now seemed the perfect time to read it.
I only just found out that this is actually supposed to be a prequel mini series to the Unfortunate Events books which actually makes a little bit more sense. This is our chance to discover where Lemony Snicket started out, before he got involved in the Beaudelaire's case.
In this book Lemony is just 13 years old, he is supposed to be on his way to meet a friend and help them with a mission, but he ends up with a new Chaperone - S Theodore Markson and they journey to 'Stain'd Upon Sea' where one mystery leads to another. Only in training still Lemony is trying to learn and solve mysteries, but he keeps asking the wrong questions - and so does everyone else which means things just get more and more complicated. This starts with a lady asking them to recover a stolen statue, but what if it wasn't stolen in the first place, why would they want it and how can it be worth so much.
I found this book quite light and witty but it was missing a little bit of the charm I came to love in the other series. There isn't much action - things unravel quite slowly and I was waiting to be blown away. But there is something about it that makes you want to know more and the further into the book I went the more I was intrigued. 
If you like books that are a bit more involved and not so action packed then this will be perfect, but even if not there is enough to keep most readers entertained.

My Rating
    

No comments: