Saturday 15 February 2014

Book Review - Secret Diamond Sisters

Title: The Secret Diamond Sisters
Author: Michelle Madow
Series: The Secret Diamond Sisters (book 1)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: 1 Mar 2014
ISBN-13: 978-1848452879

Synopsis
Savannah. Courtney. Peyton.
The three sisters grew up not knowing their father and not quite catching a break. But it looks like their luck is about to change when they find out the secret identity of their long-lost dad—a billionaire Las Vegas hotel owner who wants them to come live in a gorgeous penthouse hotel suite. Suddenly the Strip's most exclusive clubs are all-access, and with an unlimited credit card each, it should be easier than ever to fit right in. But in a town full of secrets and illusion, fitting in is nothing compared to finding out the truth about their past.


My Review
I am a huge fan of Michelle Madow, I loved her 'Transcend Time' series and became friends with her online, she's a really cool person. So when I heard that she had released a new book I was itching to get my hands on it. I was lucky enough to get a copy through NetGalley and got stuck in as soon as I could. I knew it would be very different from her other series but I was still just as excited to see what this book would bring.
This book is told from different characters point of views, you have the 3 Diamond sisters - Savannah, Courtney and Peyton, and then we also have Madison, a rich privileged girl who lives in the Diamond hotel in Vegas. But I'm getting ahead of things here, let me introduce you a bit to the story first.
The 3 sisters have grown up in Fairfield, attended public school and basically struggled to make a living. Their mum has a drinking problem and pretty much leaves the girls to it. Each has their own role to play, Peyton takes a lot of the responsibility as the oldest but the other 2 don't really know just how much she does. Courtney is the sensible one, the one who always gets good grades at school but spends a lot of her time trying to organise the family, and then Savannah is the youngest and is pretty sheltered from the problems, she is more concerned with sneaking out to parties and hanging out with her best friend. When things take a turn for the worst the girls are told they have to go and live with their father, a man they have never met or been told anything about, he could be anyone. But he's not just anyone, he is Adrain Diamond the owner of the prestigious 'Diamond Hotel' in Vegas, right on the strip. The girls lives are about to change in a very dramatic way. That is when we meet Madison, she's used to having her own way and doesn't like the 3 sisters invading her world.

This was a quick but very enjoyable read. I liked the characters, they all had very distinct personalities but they were all believable and I felt like I could relate. My favourite character was probably Courtney, but then she is the book worm and therefore most like me. Savannah irritated me at times, she could be very immature and made some stupid decisions that could have put her in danger, she also comes across as quite shallow, but she is also fun and you can't help but want to know what she will do next.
I also wanted to slap their father a few times, I hope we will see him soften up a bit in the next book, I didn't feel like we could really get to know him in this one, but I think that was deliberate.
This book is fun, moving, exciting and addictive. My biggest complaint is that I can't read book 2 for months and I want to know what happens, this book leaves everything very open ended and I want more!!!
The perfect book for a cold day snuggled inside, it will take you away and let you explore Vegas - the settings are very good in this book too, you can really tell that Madow has been to Vegas and it feels like the she is giving you a tour, I could picture all of it. 


My Rating
      

No comments: