Monday 17 March 2014

Book Review - The Looking Glass Wars

Title: The Looking Glass Wars
Author: Frank Beddor
Series: The Looking Glass Wars (book 1)
Publisher: Egmont
Release Date: 2 May 2005
ISBN-13: 978-1405219761

Synopsis
When Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, must flee through the Pool of Tears to escape the murderous aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!
Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may eventually battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.
The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions surrounding mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination.


My Review
I know I read this book about 5 years ago, I then bought book 2 and 3 but never got round to reading them. I decided now was the time to finally read the whole trilogy, something was calling to me so I picked up book 1 and got stuck in. 
After so long I really didn't remember much of this book, in fact mere fragments came back to me, so this was almost like a completely new book to me. 
I have a thing about anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, it's always been one of my favourite stories so I will always go for things that are adaptions of it. I have been disappointed in the past though, but I am pleased to say this is not one of those series.
Here we meet Alyss, 7 years old and the Heir to Wonderland. Playful and naughty with no real thoughts of ruling in the future, her parents are there and she doesn't have to worry. Until her Aunt Redd makes an appearance, forced to run for her life with their trusty bodyguard Hatter Madigan, Alyss flees through 'The Pool of Tear's and ends up in our world. Her parents are killed and Queen Redd takes over Wonderland. 
Hatter and Alyss get separated on their way through the Pool of tears and end up in very different parts of our world. Alyss in Oxford where she meets the legendary Lewis Carroll who becomes famous with her story (though he changes so much it's just lies!).
Hatter must track down Alyss and try to get her back to Wonderland where she can resume her rightful place and banish her evil aunt.
This world is so detailed and amazing that it really feels like you are walking through Wonderland and meeting all the enchanted characters, the words seem to lift of the page and envelop you in their magic. Not your traditional happy fairytale this book is a lot darker, but it's not particularly scary - just action packed and very exciting. 
I love Alyss as a character and seeing how she grows and develops as a character. The rest of the 'cast' are great too, I love Hatter, and the representation of 'The Cat' is probably my favourite. 
I read this in about half a day and found myself desperate for more. It is really addictive and captivating, I strongly recommend it. 

My Rating
    

No comments: