Tuesday 22 April 2014

Book Review - Amber

Title: Amber
Author: Julie Sykes
Publisher: Curious Fox
Release Date: 12 Sep 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1782020592

Synopsis
How do you live by the rules if you don’t know what they are?

Amber’s lost her memory. She doesn’t even know her real name. The only clues to her identity are a beautiful amber necklace and a broken mobile phone. She’s determined to learn the truth about her past life, and the secrets she’s hiding, but how many rules will she break along the way?


My Review
I saw a review for this online that said it was absolutely fantastic, and I will admit that I had looked at it a couple of times in the library and was curious so I decided to take the plunge and bring it home to read. 
With the day off on Easter Monday and nothing really planned I got up and picked up my book straight away. About 3 hours later I had finished it with time to spare before lunch. 
The book starts with a girl waking up in hospital with no memory of who she is or where she came from. I liked this because it puts you in her shoes - we discover things about her at the same time as she does, giving us a connection to the character. With only an Amber necklace to identify her she decides to name herself Amber.
I really enjoyed this book, I really wanted to know who Amber was and what happened to her, she is naturally likeable and makes you want to discover more about her. The first half of the story sets her up as a character and what could be a whole new life for her, but you know it is building to something big, and a choice for Amber too, stick with the new life or embrace her old life again.
I will admit, when you discover who Amber is I rolled my eyes, did they have to go down that root. *Spoiler - I mean 'Aliens', are so overdone. * But I kept reading and I am glad I did because it's actually done in a fresh and exciting way and I found myself really enjoying it. I was actually sad when it was finished, I came to really like the characters, not just Amber but the others around her and I wanted to stay in that world a bit longer. 
If you want a compelling read then this is definitely worth picking up.

My Rating
     

No comments: