Thursday 9 October 2014

Book Review - Earthquake

Title: Earthquake
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Series: Earthbound (book 2)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 31 July 2014
ISBN-13: 978-0007553068

Synopsis
Tavia Michaels is an Earthbound - a fallen goddess with the power to remake the Earth or destroy it. The Reduciata, a rival faction of Earthbounds, has created a virus that is wiping out swathes of the planet. But before Tavia can act on this discovery, she is captured and imprisoned. Huddled in a cell with her eternal lover, Logan, she loses track of the days until they are mysteriously rescued...For Tavia isn't like other Earthbound. As her powers awaken, her centuries-long relationship with Logan is threatened, and when Benson - the best friend who's always stood by her - returns Tavia must again face a terrible choice between those she loves. Can Tavia stop the destruction of Earth and uncover the ultimate truth about the Earthbound before it's too late?

My Review
I quite enjoyed book 1, and it left me wanting answers to my questions so I ordered book 2, realising it hasn't actually been out that long. I had to wait for it to come in at the library for me, and I found myself checking for it. Then I got the perfect chance to read it, I had to take my car in to be serviced last week and with a 2 and a half hour wait ahead of me, I settled into the waiting room and started to read. 
I managed to get about three quarters of the way through the book in that time. And I found myself forgetting about the uncomfortable chairs and the long wait as I got absorbed into the book.
Tavia has found her other half, but he doesn't remember their past yet, she must convince him of their link before the bad guys get to them, but when she is too late Tavia has even more problems to conquer. 
I don't want to give too much away, but there is a serious love triangle in this book - Tavia has fallen for Benson and he is back, but she is destined to be with Logan and you can't deny hundreds of years of connections. Love triangles tend to annoy me in most books but this was different somehow and I found myself trying to choose sides. Although to be perfectly honest I kind of hoped she wouldn't pick either of them in the end and just concentrate on what she should be doing - finding a cure before the whole world is destroyed.
It was good to find out more about the history behind the Earthbounds and the Reduciata, it made a lot of things much clearer and it was a very interesting concept. 
To be honest I think book 2 was better than the first, I found myself reading faster, wanting to know what would happen, trying to figure out who was a traitor, etc. 
There are still a few bits that annoyed me - Tavia is quite self involved and tends to overthink a lot, which ends up with a lot of her running off and crying. I understand things are hard and this is a bad situation, but come on. I kept hoping she would toughen up or at least turn to those around her for help but she just pushed them away too. 
But it didn't put me off too much and I ended up really enjoying this book, annoyingly it doesn't wrap up and leaves me on another cliffhanger, and this time I have nearly a year to wait for the next one! grrr.

My Rating
    

No comments: