Monday 20 July 2015

Book Review - Jane Eyre

Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Bronte
Publisher: Chivers Audio Books; Unabridged edition
Release Date: May 2000
ISBN-13: 978-0754053415

Synopsis
Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.


My Review
This is a very famous book, of course it is, it's had numerous tv shows and films based on it and everyone talks about it at some point, but I had never read it nor had I any intention to. However I always have a book on CD to listen to in my car and I had just finished one and my next choice had not yet arrived so my colleague pulled this off the library shelves and suggested I give it a go. I wasn't at all convinced but decided it was better than nothing so I agreed.
I was quite hesitant for a while and not sure but soon (about halfway through the first disc) I felt myself become more interested and before long I wanted to know what would happen to poor little Jane. I had to keep listening, she had captured my imagination and a bit of my heart and I had to know how it all turned out. 
I found Jane to be very matter of fact but she also had a good witty sense of humour and could give as good as she got with a quick word or quip. I found myself lost in her story. 
I think listening to it served me very well as the language is of course very old fashioned and having someone speak it aloud to me made it easier to understand, I may have given up if I was reading it myself, but the narrator did a fabulous job and kept me hooked. 
It was lovely to see Jane grow up and become a very confident if not sometimes foolish young lady. Mr Rochester was a bit of a mystery to me at first, I couldn't decide if i liked him or not but soon found myself hoping that they would find a way to work together. 
I can see why this book is so popular and has lasted over time, I really enjoyed it and am actually really glad I 'read' it. It's a wonderful, heart-warming story that will stand any test of time.

My Rating
     

No comments: