Monday 22 April 2019

Book Review - The Darkest Legacy

Title: The Darkest Legacy
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds (Book 4)
Publisher: Quercus Children's Books
Release Date: 2nd August 2018
ISBN-13: 978-1786540614

Synopsis
Five years after the destruction of the so-called rehabilitation camps that imprisoned her and countless other Psi kids, seventeen-year-old Suzume "Zu" Kimura has assumed the role of spokesperson for the interim government, fighting for the rights of Psi kids against a growing tide of misinformation and prejudice. But when she is accused of committing a horrifying act, she is forced to go on the run once more in order to stay alive.
Determined to clear her name, Zu finds herself in an uncomfortable alliance with Roman and Priyanka, two mysterious Psi who could either help her prove her innocence or betray her before she gets the chance. But as they travel in search of safety and answers, and Zu grows closer to the people she knows she shouldn't trust, they uncover even darker things roiling beneath the veneer of the country's recovery. With her future-and the future of all Psi-on the line, Zu must use her powerful voice to fight back against forces that seek to drive the Psi into the shadows and save the friends who were once her protectors.


My Review
So, I have been totally addicted to this series over the last couple of weeks. The books were originally released as a trilogy and the third book had a nice conclusion but I still wanted more, therefore I was pleased to hear that there was in fact a fourth book released in the series. I then found out that it is set 5 years after the end of book 3 and is told from Zu's point of view - not Ruby's. At first I was a little bit nervous about this - not that i don't love Zu, because I do. But she hasn't got the same strength of voice as Ruby and I've come to know and love Ruby's narrative. But my doubts were wiped away withing the first couple of pages. Zu is not that shy, quiet kid anymore, she has grown up and now has a voice. She just has to decide if it's her opinions she is sharing or just following the rules of others. 
Then all hell breaks loose at a Press Conference and she is accused of committing some horrible crimes, she has to run for her life but try to find a way to clear her name.
On the way she meets two strange Psi's - Priya and Roman, but she doesn't know who she can trust, these two characters star off quite small but become a huge part of the story and I liked that even as readers we aren't sure whether or not to trust them, we see them develop just as Zu does. 
And don't worry - we still have Chubs and Liam in the story, and in a way Ruby too.
This book is written so well, that you're never sure what is going to happen next. I literally read this in 2 sittings, I would have done it in 1 if I was able. I just could not put it down, I had to know what would happen and I found myself gripping the edge of my seat, biting my nails and gasping, laughing, crying, smiling - pretty much a whole host of emotions. This was actually my favourite book in the entire series, it made me feel so much and swept me along with Zu and all she has to face. 
Alexandra Bracken is a magnificent storyteller and I am definitely going to be looking up her other series as well. 
I cannot recommend these books enough - you have to dive right in!

My Rating
   

No comments: