Saturday 3 August 2019

Book Reviews - ReReads Cinder & Scarlet



Coming towards the end of the school term meant I had a little bit more time to read, I wasn't sure which of my books to pick up next, but one of the students in my form had been reading 'Cinder' by Marissa Meyer and we started talking about it. I read it over 7 years ago, but remembered liking it, however I never read the rest of the series (or so I thought - but more on that later).
Deciding it was about time, I found Cinder on my shelf and started to read.

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 1)
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 5 Jan 2012 
ISBN-13: 978-0141340135

Synopsis
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Review
I remembered quite a lot of the story, which must mean it was good, as I read a lot of books and over 7 years I would have read thousands, so the fact that bits of this had stuck, means it must have resonated with me.
I stated to read and was instantly in Cinders world, I liked her character and personality and felt myself wanting her to succeed. I like Iko's sarcastic, self-absorbed personality and sweet little Peony is lovely, her step-mother is just despicable enough to make you dislike her, but still makes you kind of like her too (only a little bit mind). Meyer has taken the classic Cinderella tale and put a modern twist on it, a twist that will hook you in and make you believe every single bit. 
I think I enjoyed this a lot more this time round and found myself almost racing through, desperate to read the rest of the series, eager to know what would happen next. 
If you love fairy tale books - I would highly recommend that you give this series a go.

My Rating





  Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles (book 2)
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 7 Feb 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0141340234

Synopsis
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic is trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 


My Review
I was just looking through my blog for my Cinder review - and a review for this popped up. I could have sworn to you that I had never read it before, so I was really surprised to see my thoughts on it, written 6 years ago. My review said that I really enjoyed it, so I'm surprised it hadn't stuck with me. But that means I can review it almost as new.

It turns out that the end of school term is busier than expected and i ended up carrying this round in my bag for a good few weeks, digging into odd bits when I could, desperate to know what would happen to Cinder and intrigued by the whole Scarlet story. 
So Scarlet is basically little red riding hood - her grandmother is missing and she meets a man calling himself 'Wolf' who has some animalistic instincts, but seems to be on the good side - for now. 

I really liked Scarlet's fiery temper and her deep belief in fairness and what is right. She is desperate to find her grandmother and can't believe the injustice of her village - no one is willing to help, no one seems to care. Determined not to just sit back and wait, she starts her journey to Paris - the place her grandmother is rumoured to be. With Wolf by her side, she has some hope of finding her and bringing her home - but what would someone want with her grandma?

Cinder is escaping from prison, with another prisoner tagging along - Carswell Thorne has a ship and Cinder will need it to escape. They seem like an odd pair - but it works. Thorne is stuck up and self-important, with a serious case of sarcasm and an ego almost too big to fit in the space ship - but he's one of those characters that you can't help but like.

I couldn't decide about Wolf, I was suspicious of him all the way through but he's also quite endearing. Really keeps you on your toes.

I found the story exciting and fast-paced and I was desperate to know how it would end and how Scarlet and Wolf would meet up with Cinder and Thorne. 
I enjoyed this one better than book 1 and liked the development of the new characters.

My Rating
     

No comments: