Tuesday 12 May 2020

Book Review - Eve of Man

Title: Eve of Man
Author: Giovanna & Tom Fletcher
Series: Eve of Man Trilogy (Book 1)
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Release Date: May 2018
ISBN13: 9780718186340

Synopsis
Against all odds, she survived. The first girl born in fifty years.
They called her Eve.
Eve lives alone in the Tower under the strict gaze of the Mothers. She is prized and protected, because she is the last girl on earth.
Eve has always understood that the survival of the human race is in her hands. Now she's sixteen, and three males have been selected. Eve knows it's time to face her fate.
Until she meets Bram.
Eve sees a chance for something she never thought could be hers.
But how do you choose between love and the future of humanity?

My Review
If you have known me for any amount of time you will know that I love a good Dystopian Fiction, one of my best friends gave me this book as she ended up with 2 copies and she said that she thought I would enjoy it. Once again it was a book that ended up on my shelf with a 'i'll get to it at somepoint' idea. Looking for my next read this week, I decided to give this a go. I ddidn't know much about it but I read the synopsis and was intrigued. 
The book starts of right where you need to be, the hospitals are filling with baby boys, at first it just seems a little odd. Then it spreads to no baby girls born anywhere, with no idea why. Then we hear that after 50 years, a girl has been born and her name is Eve.
The premise of the book is very interesting, a world where women are dying out and no more are being born, with just one emerging. It is now going to be her responsibility to save humanity - the hopes are that she will grow up and birth children - hopefully more girls. 
We are introduced to Eve as a teenager, she has been brought up in the 'Dome' a safe haven above a world that has been all but destroyed below. She goes to lessons, keeps fit and spends time with the 'Mothers' a group of 4 or 5 women in their 70's who have devoted the remainder of their lives to bringing up Eve. Now she is reaching maturity Eve must think about meeting 'potentials', young men that have been selected as possible mates for Eve, but she has to decide if she is going to follow her duty or try to find love. Then she meets Bram, an important worker in the Dome and someone she may have known all of her life, all be it in a different form - computer programming can work wonders! Eve starts to question the existence she has been taught and begins to find cracks in the knowledge she has been given, but can she abandon the future of humanity. 
I liked Eve as a character, she is quite naive and seems content to just go along with life, but considering her upbringing and surroundings you can understand why she is the way she is and actually she does develop as the book went on. I did find her quite annoying throughout the book and at times I just wanted to shake her, but the supporting characters and the plot are strong enough to keep me enjoying the book and wanting to read on. 
Bram as a character is great, I love that we get to know some of his backstory too, it just makes him seem all the more real and actually more lovable. He is very strong willed and wants to do what is right. He is very impulsive and tends to get himself into more trouble than is necessary but that's part of his charm. I actually found myself reading the book to find out more about him and his role in everything more than Eve. 
The relationship with the 'Mothers' changes and develops throughout the book and it was great to see how they affected Eve and the situation. Vivien is a pure mystery, she seems really evil but also someone who holds a lot of secrets. I want to know more about her involvement and if she really can be that manipulative. 
The book itself is a bit slow as it starts, but it builds and develops and I found myself reading it through and not wanting to put it down. I read it in just over 2 sittings. It is very gripping and makes you want to know more. As soon as I finished I went online and ordered the second book, luckily for me, it arrived next day so I can get started! 
Definitely one for Dystopian fans, the writing will grip you and keep you hooked all the way through. 

My Rating
   
 

No comments: