Thursday 29 April 2021

Book Review - The Fountains of Silence

Title: The Fountains of Silence

Author: Ruta Sepetys 

Publisher: Penguin 

Release Date: 18 Mar. 2021 

ISBN-13: 978-0241421857

 

Synopsis 

 Madrid, 1957.

Daniel, young, wealthy and unsure of his place in the world, views the city through the lens of his camera.

Ana, a hotel maid whose family is suffering under the fascist dictatorship of General Franco.

Lives and hearts collide as they unite to uncover the hidden darkness within the city.

A darkness that could engulf them all . . .

Master storyteller Ruta Sepetys once again shines light into one of history's darkest corners in this epic, heart-wrenching novel about identity, unforgettable love and the hidden violence of silence.

My Review

I have signed up to read all of this years books that have been nominated for the Carnegie Award, this is being done in the school that I work and I thought it would be a good way of discovering some new, different types of books and see what is coming out at the moment. There are 8 books on the nominated list and this was the first one that I was given. 

This is definitely not the sort of book that I would have picked up from the cover or blurb, I am starting to get into Historical novels a bit more, but I have never thought about History this recent or set in Spain. So immediately the purpose of the award is working as I am discovering something new.

Daniel is visiting Spain with his family, his mother grew up in Spain before moving to America with her husband, they have now returned to experience some of the culture, explore his roots and generally get involved in the city. Spain is being run by general Franco, it is a dictatorship, people have very little freedom, there is fear in the air, parents, siblings and friends have been taken away for being traitors to the state and no one can trust anyone else. Daniel finds it all fascinating and enjoys seeing the different angles of life through his camera. Then he meets Ana - a maid at the hotel who needs to learn to keep her mouth shut, she has to help support her sister and her nieces and nephews, and can't risk endangering any of them. Together they start to see a different side of the city, and maybe of each other. 

The story was a bit slow to start, you are introduced to a place and quite a number of characters that may be a little confusing, the story doesn't grab you straight away as there is a fair amount of description - but I actually liked this, it helped to set up the story for me and gave me time to settle to it. By the time I was about 50-100 pages in, I was hooked and I had to know what Daniel would discover next, how Ana was involved, and if the secrets I had learnt would be answered. 

Overall I found the story highly captivating and the words wove this world around me, that pulled me in and made me want to know more. I couldn't put it down and was desperate for more. The ending was satisfying enough but I am one of those people that like everything to be wrapped up and there are a few unanswered questions and some open ends that left me swearing and wishing the book was another 100 pages long. 

I'm not sure this book is particularly suited for the target audience it has been given of the upper teen age, I personally think this would be suited better to the adult market due to the content, language and style - it's the sort of book that I could see on the Booker prize list or something like that. I am not sure how well teens will engage as it is quite slow and wordy. But regardless of that, I thought it was an excellent book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Definitely worth a read and even more captivating knowing that a lot of it is based on real life, and not that long ago either - which may shock you!

My Rating  


No comments: