Wednesday 11 August 2010

Book Review - Artemis Fowl & The Atlantis Complex



Synopsis
Young Artemis has frequently used high-tech fairy magic to mastermind the most devious criminal activity of the new century. Now, at a conference in Iceland, Artemis has gathered the fairies to present his latest idea to save the world from global warming. But Artemis is behaving strangely – he seems different. Something terrible has happened to him . . . Artemis Fowl has become nice. The fairies diagnose Atlantis Complex (that’s obsessive compulsive disorder to you and I) – it seems dabbling in magic has damaged Artemis' main weapon: his mind. Fairy ally Captain Holly Short doesn’t know what to do. The subterranean volcanoes are under attack from vicious robots and Artemis cannot fight them. Can Holly get the real Artemis back before the robot probes destroy every human and life form?

My Review
I had become gripped in the world of Artemis Fowl, 'The Atlantis Complex' is number seven in the series and new out. My friend introduced me to them and I read the whole series in a week. I struggled to get into the first book, but once I got going they seemed to get better and better.
The characters in these books are fantastic and I felt myself connect with them, Artemis Fowl is a criminal master mind, yet you can't help but feeling sorry for him, and he really isn't all bad. Captain Holly Short fairy police officer for the LEP is a great character, feisty and always leaping into action without thinking but she is also a loyal friend.
This book starts of in Iceland, where Artemis is showing his new invention to several members of the fairy world. He is trying to stop global warming. This is where i got slightly put off, everything these days has something about global warming in and I'm getting tired of having it shoved down my throat, I was disappointed Eoin Colfer had jumped onto this band wagon, but i persevered with the book, prepared to be lectured. However I was pleasantly surprised the topic is mentioned but not obsessed over.
Artemis is suffering from an illness called the Atlantis Complex which is like a severe form of OCD, paranoia and multi-personality disorder. Eoin Colfer tackles the issue of mental illness head on and doesn't try to shy away, Artemis has to fight his way through and you fight right alongside him.
I really enjoyed this book as it lets you see the different sides of Artemis, and also focuses more on some of the other characters, Foaly the Centaur has a more prominent role in this book, and Butler broadens his horizons, even leaving Artemis' side for a while.
I would say I definitely enjoyed this book, I was gripped by the characters and storyline, and hope that Colfer releases another in this series.

My Rating

I would give this book a 8/10.

it was a very enjoyable read, but not sure I would re-read it again soon. I would definitely recommend it to other readers as it is fast paced and action packed.

Happy Reading :D xx

No comments: