Tuesday 28 May 2013

Book Review - Scarlet

Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles (book 2)
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 7 Feb 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0141340234

Synopsis
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic is trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


My Review
I really enjoyed Cinder when I read it last year, I thought it was different and I remember being drawn into the story. I waited and waited for this book to come out and then sort of forgot about it, but then I was unpacking a box of new stock at the Library and this was in it, I squealed (startling my colleague) and grabbed it, knowing I had to read it and not wanting to risk anyone else getting it before I could. So I processed it, issued it straight away and took it home. Well, there's got to be some perks right!?
Cinder was of course based on the story of Cinderella, but it takes it to a whole new world, but this book is very much focused on Scarlet, which works around the Little Red Riding Hood tale, but again nothing is as it seems.
Cinder is still featured in this story, of course she is - that can't be ignored but the chapters alternate between her and Scarlet, with them coming together in a very important way towards the end.
Scarlet has spent most of her life on the farm with her gran, helping out with the work and making deliveries, but when her Gran is taken and no-one seems to want to help she sets off to find her, she then meets 'Wolf' a real tough guy who may or may not know more. There is a real on again off again thing between these too, there is a definite attraction between them, but not much trust. I found myself quite liking Wolf, but I did have moments when I wanted to slap the attitude out of him. 
Scarlet herself is quite feisty and I loved her drive but she tended to rush into things a bit too quickly which isn't always wise.
I really liked the different take on the whole Wolf aspect, it gave it a very different feel and introduced a new way of thinking but I think it worked very well.

Meanwhile back to Cinder she has escaped from prison with a fellow criminal named Thorne, he is a bit pathetic at times and tends to make silly mistakes but he has a wicked sense of humour and I loved his sarcasm, it really made me chuckle and I found myself wanting to read more from him. He works very well with Cinder too and they made a great team. 

At 452 pages this is a fairly long book but most of it flew past, I did have a couple of moments where I wished it would move a little quicker and my attention would drift a little bit, but never for long before I was snapped back into it. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first but it was still very good. 
And I can't wait to see what Meyer brings in for the next book. 

My Rating
    

No comments: