Wednesday 29 June 2011

Book Review - Legacy

Title: Legacy
Author: Cayla Kluver
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: 28 Jun 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0373210343

Synopsis
A CROWN PRINCESS
A SCANDALOUS SECRET CRUSH
A KINGDOM ON THE BRINK OF DISASTER
In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father’s choice of suitor fills her with despair.
When the palace guard captures an intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom’s greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.
In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won’t be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

 My Review
I read the synopsis on NetGalley and was intrigued, I requested a copy and was happy when I was approved.
This book isn't anything like I thought it would be and isn't my normal sort of read, but I actually found myself really enjoying it.
Two Kingdoms side by side are at dispute and have been for years. Princess Alera is now seventeen and must choose a suitor to marry who can become King, her father has chosen Steldor a young man who in her fathers eyes would make a great King, but in Alera's eyes he is an arrogant a**e! When a blue-eyed boy is captured in the city and brought to the palace, Alera instantly feels a conncetion to him, but as he comes from Cokyri, the warring Kingdom, he cannot be trusted. 
On the brink of war, Alera doesn't have time to decide what she wants to do. She must decide who is right for the Kingdom, who is on her side and who is in danger.
The book is fast paced and excited, everytime I thought I had figured out who the betrayer was or who she would pick to marry something would change and I would have to re-think it. 
The writing is good and flows well and the characters really come to life, I found myself wanting to slap Steldor as much as Alera did, and i loved the way she wanted to change peoples ideas about what women should be able to do. She stuck up for herself.
This book feels sort of magical without any real magic in it, just something about it takes you away to another world.

My Rating
I would give this book 9/10, thoroughly enjoyable and well written, but the story doesn't actually come to a conclusion as it is set to be a trilogy. Will have to wait for the next one. 

No comments: