Wednesday 25 December 2013

Book Review - Glass Houses

Title: Glass Houses
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires (Book 1)
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Release Date: 26 May 2008
ISBN-13: 978-0749079512

Synopsis
College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. Will she be able to face the town's terror or will she drown like everyone else?

My Review
I first read this book a few years ago, I got totally obsessed with the series and even went to an author talk with Rachel Caine where she signed some of my books. I have followed the series since and I still love them. 
You can tell how long ago I read them because it was before I started this blog (Which I have been doing for at least 3 years). In fact the first one I reviewed on here was number 9. I then only ever read up to book 12. I found out that there would be 15 books in the series so I decided to wait until that one came out and then just read them all. So guess what I got for Christmas? - That's right 'Daylighters' (book 15) so I started to read the series from the beginning again.
Claire is at College, the youngest one there. She is super intelligent and been given early entry, but her parents didn't want her to go too far away to any main Universities so they settles on Morganville. But she instantly finds herself as an outcast and on the wrong side of the meanest girl in school, but this girl isn't just spiteful, she is violent and has no problem hurting Claire. Eager to escape Claire heads to the 'Glass House' and meets Michael, Shane and Eve, but they seem strange too, but it's better than going back to the dorm. Once there she starts to uncover all sorts of secrets about Morganville, some which are so unbelievable they might just be true.
Although this was technically a re-read for me, it really has been so long since I last read it that it almost felt fresh. Of course, I know how the characters develop in later books but it was fun going back to the start.
These books are highly addictive, I read this in about 3 hours, I think I was a bit unsocial this Christmas with my nose stuck in this book, but I enjoyed it!
Rachel Caine blends the world really well, and makes it feel really realistic, the imagery of her writing is fabulous, I can really picture the places and people, I can totally get lost in these books. 
I of course went straight onto book 2 and am already 100 pages in so expect a review soon. In fact I have challenged myself to read all 15 by New Years, so that's 15 books in 6 days. Not sure if it's possible but I'm going for it. So expect a lot of reviews over the next few days.

Morganville Vampires Rule!

My Rating
 
   

No comments: