Wednesday 25 November 2015

Book Review - The Fellowship of the RIng


Title: The Fellowship of the Ring
Author: JRR Tolkien
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: 1999 (this edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0007488315

 Synopsis
The first part of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic adventure THE LORD OF THE RINGS

In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit is entrusted with an immense task. He must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power - the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord's evil dominion.



My Review
So, I read the Hobbit and enjoyed it, so naturally I decided that I was going to move onto the Lord of the Rings series and this is where it starts. I listened to it on spoken word in my car as I don't have as much free time to read at the moment. I started out with high hopes but soon felt disappointed. 
The story seemed very slow and long winded and there were periods of time where I found myself completely tuning out and missing chunks of the story, at first I would go back a couple of tracks and try to pick it up again but to be honest I didn't really care, I found it so slow and boring that I just wanted to get it finished. i persevered all the way through as so many people love it I thought I was missing something, but after finishing it all i can only say that I really didn't care and had no real idea what was happening. I asked my fiance for a summary and gave up and handed the book back.
I don't really know what didn't click for me, but it just seemed so long winded that it never really gets anywhere. I do have to say that there were odd moments that made me perk up and pay attention and that I enjoyed more but overall it just fell flat.
However I have heard that 'The Two Towers' is much better so I am going to persevere once more and give that a go, I just hope it's better than this one.
Sorry Tolkien, but maybe this series is just not for me.

My Rating
 

No comments: