Thursday 18 April 2013

Book Review - Fractured

Title: Fractured
Author: Teri Terry
Series: Slated (book 2)
Publisher: Orchard
Release Date: 4 April 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1408319482

Synopsis
How do you know where to go when you don't remember where you came from?

Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

Or so she thought.
Kyla shouldn't be able to remember anything. But she can - and she's beginning to realise that there are a lot of dark secrets locked away in her memories. When a mysterious man from her past comes back into her life, she thinks she's on her way to finding the truth. But the more she learns about her history, the more confusing her future becomes...
 



My Review
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book from 'Books With Bite'. Thank you so much! I have been eagerly awaiting this book since I finished book 1 last year.
Fractured starts where Slated left off, you are straight back into the heart of the action and into Kyla's world once more. It was like returning to an old friend, a friend who needs your help, needs to take you along as she discovers more about her past and her future.
Something is wrong with Kyla's Levo - it's no longer controlling her levels properly, she's starting to feel and think more, more things that she can't possibly know or remember.
As it has been so long since I read book 1, I will confess to being slightly confused with a few things but Teri Terry gives plenty of subtle hints and references to events that it soon started to come back to me. I began to remember the characters, events and of course my love for the story. And I couldn't wait to know more.
I started this in my lunch break on Tuesday and managed to read about 70 pages in about 45minutes, I was devouring the book! But then I had to go back to work for the afternoon and then trampolining in the evening, I was itching to pick the book up again but just couldn't. It was like Kyla was calling to me from the pages. It was torture. I didn't get to pick it up again until after work today, and it felt like a long delay, but I knew I had the evening ahead of me to get stuck in - and I did!!! 
A few hours later and I've finished it, but in a way I wished I hadn't - because now it's over! And I won't get the next part for another whole year!!! I miss it already. I may have to go back to Slated and read both of them again, but then I have so many other books to read... *definite book hangover* I certainly can't start another book tonight, this one is too firmly in my head. 
This book returns many of the characters from book 1, but also introduces others. Mainly Cam and Nico. Both of these two are a bit of a mystery. You're never quite sure which side they are on or what exactly they want. Nico is a great character, a real mix of creepy, caring, ruthless, determined and at times almost kind. It keeps you on your toes.
Cam I must admit to liking for parts of it, there were niggles in my brain but I never expected the truth (I won't tell you if he ends up being a hero or villain as I don't want to ruin it, but I was surprised!)
Kyla is of course still the main character, but you see real change and growth in her in this book. You learn more about her past but also see how she copes with it all, you see how it changes her and I love that she fights for what she thinks is right and tries to correct her mistakes. I love her strength and courage but also her insecurities. 
At 420 pages this book is a good length for me, but may look big to others, but trust me it doesn't ever feel long, in fact- it flies past, the plot and pacing are so exciting and gripping that you just tear through the pages desperate for more. 
I was trying to think if there was anything negative I could say about this book but honestly nothing comes to mind. I suppose I missed Ben a bit, he does still feature but in a very different way from the first, but everything that happens to him has a purpose so I can't really grumble about that and I have a feeling he will play a bigger part again in book 3. 
So really this is just another WOW, these books are just incredible. 

My Rating
            
  

No comments: