Thursday 11 April 2013

Book Review - The Funny Thing Is...

Title: The Funny Thing Is...
Author: Ellen Degeneres
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Ltd
Release Date: 15 Nov 2004
ISBN-13: 978-0743247634

Synopsis
Ellen DeGeneres published her first book of comic essays, the #1 bestselling My Point...and I Do Have One, way back in 1996. Not one to rest on her laurels, the witty star of stage and screen has since dedicated her life to writing a hilarious new book. That book is this book.
After years of painstaking, round-the-clock research, surviving on a mere twenty minutes of sleep a night, and collaborating with lexicographers, plumbers, and mathematicians, DeGeneres has crafted a book that is both easy to use and very funny. Along with her trademark ramblings, The Funny Thing Is...contains hundreds of succinct insights into her psyche, and offers innovative features including:
More than 50,000 simple, short words arranged in sentences that form paragraphs.
• Thousands of observations on everyday life -- from terrible fashion trends to how to handle seating arrangements for a Sunday brunch with Paula Abdul, Diane Sawyer, and Eminem.
• All twenty-six letters of the alphabet.
Sure to make you laugh, The Funny Thing Is...is an indispensable reference for anyone who knows how to read or wants to fool people into thinking they do.

My Review
As you may be aware I am a huge fan of Ellen and was thrilled when my brother bought me this book as an Easter present - a great alternative to eggs!
This book is only 177 pages but packed with anecdotes and funny quips from Ellen. Some are silly and some are sensible and some are just downright ridiculous but this book had me laughing out loud throughout. Ellen's wit and charm really shine through the pages. I actually had to put the book down a couple of times because I was laughing so hard I was almost crying and gulping breathes.
If you are looking for great insights and revelations into her life then you will be sorely disappointed, this book is definitely not a biography, but if you want to laugh and have fun then this book is for you.
This book is kind of like mini conversations, sort of like when she talks at the beginning of each of her shows. 
Perfect if you are a fan of the show. 

My Rating
     

2 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Oh, I loved her first book of stories. I must get this one. I am ordering it right now. Thanks! Anne at My Head is Full of Books

barmybex said...

YAY! Hope you enjoy it Anne. :D