Saturday 26 February 2011

Book Review - Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Title: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Author: Jeff Kinney
Publisher: Puffin
ISBN-13: 978-0141324906

Synopsis
Greg Heffley finds himself thrust into a new year and a new school where undersize weaklings share the corridors with kids who are taller, meaner and already shaving. Desperate to prove his new found maturity, which only going up a grade can bring, Greg is happy to have his not-quite-so-cool sidekick, Rowley, along for the ride. But when Rowley's star starts to rise, Greg tries to use his best friend's popularity to his own advantage. Recorded in his diary with comic pictures and his very own words, this test of Greg and Rowley's friendship unfolds with hilarious results. 

My Review
I have to admit, I only picked this up to see what all the fuss was about. The kids go mad for these books in the library and are always talking about them. I was waiting for my friend to arrive to take me on Holiday last week and I had half an hour so i grabbed this book. It took me 22 minutes to finish, very quick. But it felt like longer.
The comic book drawings does break up the text and make it easier to speed through and i suppose keep the attention of reluctant readers, but for me, I didn't enjoy it.
I can definitely see the appeal for young boys - easy to read, pictures, and some rude jokes. For me though I found the 'voice' of Greg rather annoying, he seemed to resent everyone at school for being 'better' than him and only seems to like his friend 'Rowley' because he is lower than him in the 'cool chain' and even this changes when Rowley starts to become more popular. Greg wants to be popular but can't be bothered to make an effort. Again I can see the appeal to younger children, but for me, I couldn't get through it quick enough. Glad I read it when I did so I didn't waste 'proper' reading time on it.

I know this review won't make me very popular, but I have to be honest. For me it wasn't something I would read again or read any more of the series, but as I say if you are younger then I think it would appeal more.


My Rating
I would give this book 4/10, just not my sort of thing.
I'm sure the kids that come to the library would give it 10+ though!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered about these books too. I hear about them all the time but never picked one up. My kids are grown so it's not something they read. I probably would like the rude jokes. LOL

Thanks for your review.