Wednesday 25 July 2012

Book Review - Cinder

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 5 Jan 2012 
ISBN-13: 978-0141340135

Synopsis
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Review
I heard a lot of buzz about this book on the blogosphere and saw many positive reviews. As i love anything to do with Fairy tales, and have really gotten into the whole world of re-tellings I thought I might as well try this one. I ordered it at the library and thought it took a while to come in I was still excited when it did. Although at the same time, slightly apprehensive - is a robot Cinderella going too far?
I sat down to read this when I got home from work on Tuesday afternoon, it didn't grab me immediately but it did pique my interest. I liked how the world was set up and a mixture of characters are introduced straight away, it means you get to know them and how they all interact together and the world becomes more 3D. 
I found myself believing in Cinder, who she was and what she stood for, I got to know her personality and quirks quite quickly and I found myself being drawn in further.
The plot is fast paced and at times it felt like the book just flew by. I would look and suddenly be 100 pages further along in what only felt like minutes. 
 I will say this book was slightly predictable in places too though. At most of what I thought were supposed to be the 'shock' moments I had guessed what was coming for a long time. The mystery Princess for example - I had it figured out by page 120, and it's 'revealed' in the last chapter of the book. No great shocker to me!
This book is a very enjoyable, fairly easy read that does capture your attention and in some places your heart. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it certainly has it's moments and I would recommend giving it a go.

I look forward to reading the next part in the series and have high hopes for Marissa Meyer.

My Rating
  
   

3 comments:

Dana said...

I loved Cinder it was such a fun and exciting book can't wait for the sequel!

Michelle Flick said...

I did think the story was predictable at times too, like who the lost princess was. But I found myself rooting for Cinder, especially when the evil stepmother was involved.

barmybex said...

Definitely, I really wanted Cinder to pull through!