Monday 17 September 2012

Book Review - Skulduggery Pleasant & The Kingdom of the Wicked

Title: Skulduggery Pleasant Kingdom of the Wicked
Author: Derek Landy
Series: Skulduggery Pleasant (book 7)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 30 Aug 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0007480227

Synopsis
Magic is a disease.
Across the land, normal people are suddenly developing wild and unstable powers. Infected by a rare strain of magic, they are unwittingly endangering their own lives and the lives of the people around them. Terrified and confused, their only hope lies with the Sanctuary. Skulduggery Pleasant and Valkyrie Cain are needed now more than ever.
And then there's the small matter of Kitana. A normal teenage girl who, along with her normal teenage friends, becomes infected. Becomes powerful. Becomes corrupted. Wielding the magic of gods, they're set to tear the city apart unless someone stands up against them.
Looks like it's going to be another one of those days…


My Review
It's Skulduggery Pleasant!!!!! *Runs around excitedly clutching book* This is one of my all time favourite series and I always look forward to the release of the next installment, counting down the days until I can get it. I've met Derek Landy twice and he is so nice and genuine in real life and just as funny as his books make him seem, unfortunately he didn't come close enough to me on this tour for me to meet him again but the book was released the day after my birthday so my best friend bought it for me as a present.
So where to start, this book is full of so much Epicness it's hard to calm my thoughts and think rationally. I am going to try not to include spoilers as these are too good, they need to be read and discovered as you go.
What would you do if you woke up one day with magic? Well hundreds of seemingly ordinary people are waking up to discover their new powers, some use it for good whilst others get drunk on powers. Skulduggery and Valkyrie are once more on the case and still as kick-ass as ever. They have really become a team and they bounce off each other so well. I love the quick, sarcastic comments and witty remarks.
The new spread of characters was pretty cool, Kitana is a total psychopath and I love her! In a 'I want to kick her upside the head' kind of way. Argeddion, well what can you say about Argeddion? Nutjob? lol
Nearly all of your old favourites are back at some point and it was good to have them in it. Ghastly features quite a lot which I loves as he is one of my favourites! :D
The storyline is fast paced, action packed and just plain awesome. This book may be 605 pages but it will fly by in an instant! I couldn't stop reading and I didn't want to look away. The only complaint I have is how long we have to wait for the next one, and with that ending? Derek you are torturing us!!! I need to know what happens next. I always knew there was something going on there! 
If you haven't ever read Skulduggery Pleasant, I don't know what you have been doing with your life, or how you manage to live in such an empty existance - trust me, your life is not complete until you have read SP! So go out, find a copy of all the books in the series (Skulduggery Pleasant, Playing With Fire, The Faceless Ones, Dark Days, Mortal Coil, Death Bringer, Kingdom of the Wicked) and get reading!!! You won't regret it, I promise. You'll be laughing your socks off. 

My Rating
 
 





  

No comments: