Monday 8 July 2013

Book Review - Wonder

Title: Wonder
Author: RJ Palacio
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Release Date: 3 Jan 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0552565974

Synopsis
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


My Review
I was looking for a book to give to my Reading Group that wasn't Vampires, Werewolves, Dystopian or anything like that. They wanted something different. I saw this come in the library as a new book and thought it looked interesting then someone else recommended it to me so I decided to go for it. I gave it to my group last month to read. I then put it aside and didn't think about it. One of the group came back into the library after reading it and told me how amazing she thought it was and that I had to read it. I do try to read the books I give them as it's easier to lead the discussion then, so I decided to grab this and get stuck in.
It's not my usual sort of read but I found myself really enjoying the story. Follow August "Auggie" Pullman, a perfectly normal 10 year old in every way but one, he was born with a severe facial disfigurement. His parents have home-schooled him so far but think it's time he tried mainstream school, and this book follows his first year. 
August is a great little character, awesome personality, lovely sense of humour and a refreshing outlook on life, it's hard not to feel sorry for him, but really this book is about acceptance. At times he can be a little immature for his age, but I think after experiencing the life he has he is entitled to it. 
I found it refreshing that this book wasn't told just from August's point of view, you also get bits from his sister, his friends Summer and Jack and his sister's boyfriend Justin. It gives a different perspective to August's life and how things can affect everyone around you. 
The story was very well told and holds a great message for anyone reading it. This book is 'aimed' at children, but I think that anyone could enjoy it and even learn from it. 
I read it in about 2 and a bit hours, I found myself tearing through it, wanting more. This book has moments that will make you laugh and cry, will make you stop and think and just carry you away. 
I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see what the rest of the group thought if it. A lovely book.

My Rating
   
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard so many good things about this book. You've sold me. I really need to read this books!
Laura @ Music Plus Books

barmybex said...

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it. :D