Thursday 4 February 2021

Book Review - Gone

 

Title: Gone

Author: Michael Grant

Series: Gone (Book 1)

Publisher: Egmont Books UK

Release Date: 1st September 2009

ISBN13: 9781405242356

 

Synopsis

Suddenly there were no adults, no answers. What would you do? In the blink of an eye, the world changes. The adults vanish without a trace, and those left must do all they can to survive. But everyone's idea of survival is different. Some look after themselves, some look after others, and some will do anything for power. 

 

My Review

I have had these books on my shelves for years and never got round to picking them up. I had just finished my last book when I had a discussion online with the school librarian in a book group we had created and she mentioned this book. As it was at the forefront of my mind, I decided to give it a go.

Sam is sitting in class daydreaming about being out on the surf, when suddenly he realises that the class is fidgeting and looking round - his teacher has disappeared. After working out that they hadn't walked out, but had literally 'poofed' into thin air, it seems too good to be true. 

They soon realise that it isn't just their teacher - but every adult within a 20 mile radius. Anyone over the age of 15 has vanished, at first everyone thinks it's great - they can eat all the sweets they want and stay up late. But soon reality hits, the young kids and babies need to be looked after, there are no phones or televisions, and small fights start to break out. Someone needs to take charge but who should it be - many people think Sam is perfect, but he doesn't want that kind of pressure, but when the alternative is Orc and his group of bullies it's hard to thin of someone else. Then some of the kids from the local private school, known for their troubled pasts start to turn up in town, and a new rule of order is formed. But how long can they lst without proper direction, especially when some of the kids start to discover that they have strange powers. 

Sam has to try and fix everything before he turns 15 and disappears, he has just 3 weeks, but will it be enough?

I liked Sam as a character - he is very humble but doesn't shy away from conflict - he doesn't want control, glory or power, he just wants to live his life and help his friends. He isn't even sure he's brave enough. Yet he still perseveres, he's quite endearing. And he has a massive crush on Astrid - the school's super-brain and is lucky enough to have her on his side, along with his best friend Quinn and another student called Edilio. As a group they are very well made for each other, they all have their own strengths and roles, although Quinn gets quite stroppy at times which made me want to slap him and tell him to get a grip.

Then we have the rivals, Caine and his group of super-powered 'friends' from the Private school arrive and demand everyone does what they say. Caine has learnt to control his powers and is very strong, and he's not afraid to use them. Then he has his chief henchman - Drake, who may not have powers of his own, but is a big bully, can shoot a gun and doesn't take hassle from anyone.

I actually found Drake the most annoying character in the book, so full of himself and like a cockroach - just keeps coming back. I swear, he almost gets killed like five times and yet still finds a way to survive. He's not a nice person, in fact he's a total psychopath and I hope he doesn't feature all through the series because he will drive me mad!

Overall the whole plot is totally gripping, considering this book is nearly 600 pages, I read it in just 2 sittings, I couldn't put it down, I needed to know more. I'm not sure how I feel about the Coyotes and the 'Darkness' stuff, seemed a bit too much in places, but it wasn't enough to put me off and I actually really liked Lana as a character, sassy and refuses to quit. 

There are some slightly more gory parts to this book that could scare younger readers, a couple of bits made me turn my nose up and squirm a bit, but overall, it's just an enjoyable, fast paced story that is very gripping. 

 

My Rating


 
     
 

 

No comments: