Monday 15 February 2021

Book Review - Lies

Title: Lies

Author: Michael Grant

Series: Gone (Book 3) 

Publisher: Egmont 

Release Date: 7 May 2015 

ISBN-13 : 978-1405277068

Synopsis
66 Hours, 52 Minutes

Suddenly, it's a world without adults and normal has crashed and burned. When life as you know it ends at 15, everything changes.
Tensions are growing in the FAYZ. The mutants are under attack. Food is scarce. Sam's gone AWOL.
At night, a solitary figure roams the streets-- the ghost of a boy with a whip hand, haunting the dreams of those he has tormented.
Then the town is deliberately set on fire... And through the flames, Sam sees the figure he dreads most--Drake. But that's impossible: Drake is dead. 
 
My Review
 I read the first two books quite quickly, then had a few days break before starting this one. But when I picked it up, I was straight back into the action. BUt I have to say I wasn't blown away by it. This book felt like it was a bit of a filler - not much really happens. 
We now have 3 main groups - The Coates kids, The Human Crew and the 'Freaks', all at war with each other and trying to survive. Food stores are now limited, kids are hunting and fishing, stealing and starving, nothing ever seems to be sorted as everyone is too busy arguing. 
Caine seems to be more of an afterthought for much of this book and I have to admit he was actually starting to bore me a little. 
Zil and his group of human thugs is just annoying, I spent most of his chapters just wishing someone would shoot him and get it over with. He's obviously there to create drama and tension but I just found him frustrating. 
Then we have Sam and Astrid - having constant arguments and ego problems and feeling sorry for themselves.
We also get introduced to the Island kids, I am not sure about them yet, they brought a bit of freshness to the story but we'll see how they develop in the next book.
These books can be gory in places, but Grant puts so much in there that I actually think he's desensitized me to it. I barely blinked an eye at most of the more gruesome parts in this book, it just didn't shock me anymore.
However I am still curious as to what has caused the FAYZ and I feel invested enough to carry on for now. I hope the story picks up a bit in the next one and draws me back into the world. If not, I will just google what happens in the others. 
I'm really conflicted about how I feel about these books at the moment. If this book is designed to just move things on ready for the next book then that's fine. I just hope it picks up a bit again and Sam pulls himself together enough to be the character I had come to like. 
 
My Rating

 
 

 
 

 

No comments: