Saturday 12 January 2013

Book Review - Dare You To

Title: Dare You To
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits (book 2)
Publisher: MIRA Ink / Harlequin UK
Release Date: 28 May 2013
ISBN13: 9780373210633

Synopsis
Beth’s the bad girl that no-one wanted, not even parents. Ryan’s the high school hero that everyone wants a piece of – even if no-one knows the real him. Their paths should never have crossed – now they’re each other’s only life line. If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk’s mum they’d send her mother to jail. So seventeen year old Beth protects her mum at all costs. Until the day she can’t. Suddenly sent to live with her uncle in a small town Beth’s now stuck with an aunt who doesn’t want her, and at a school that doesn’t get her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn’t go anywhere near a girl like Beth. Ryan Stone is gorgeous, a popular jock and the town golden boy— with secrets he can’t tell anyone. Even his friends. As Ryan and Beth dare to let each other in, they’re treading on dangerous ground – and the consequences could change their worlds forever.

My Review
OK, so I read Pushing The Limits last week and fell in love with, what a great start to the year. I found out about this book on Goodreads and marked it as 'To Read', but was sad I would have to wait until May to read it. Then I was on Facebook at the beginning of this week and saw that Mira Ink had published a post saying they had just released this on NetGalley. I squealed so loud and had requested it in seconds. Waiting to see if I had approval or not was torture, but Thank the Lord I got it. I started this book in my lunch break today and was nearly late back to work as I didn't want to put it down. Then as soon as I got home from work I picked it up again and didn't stop until I finished it.
My first reaction upon finishing it is: WOW!!!!
When I finished reading Pushing the Limits I was so into the whole Beth & Isaiah relationship, they seemed to fit perfectly so when I saw the blurb for this one I thought - 'Who on earth is this Ryan guy? No way!' but I wanted to see where the author was going with it, and within minutes of starting this book I wanted to know more about it and now I totally love Beth & Ryan together.
I totally loved PTL, but this book is jsut Breath-taking, when I thought it couldn't get any better it did, ten-fold!!!
As you can tell, this story follows Beth and Ryan, we know Beth from PTL, but only that she's a 'Biker Chick' with a bad attitude, this book opens her whole world and offers you an understanding and background to her life. I love her sassy attitude and no nonsense approach, but I also really love the fact that the author has given her so many layers, there is so much more to Beth and throughout the whole book you discover more of who she is. I absolutely love her as a character, and her story was very moving.
Ryan is a Baseball star, pressured by his parents to be 'perfect' everyone thinks he has everything, but life behind closed doors is a lot more complicated. Again a character with hidden depths and a guy who will stand up for the right thing. He and Beth just seem to fit and my heart was bursting for them. Throughout the whole book I was desperate for them to get together. 
 There is a lot of swearing in this book (mostly f-word), but nothing over the top, Beth has an attitude and it's just part of her vocabulary, she does tone it down as the book goes on and I didn't find it offensive. Some books seem to put swear words in for the sake of it, but here it seems like it fits and I didn't mind.
I liked the glimpses of Noah & Echo, Isaiah and Shirley from the first book. It really made it feel like the world was growing, and that you were really involved with the whole storyline and characters. 
Again this book deals with issues - drugs, sex, alcohol, abuse, but as in  the first book it's all handled well and delicately. It all serves a purpose and moves the story on. My heart was in my mouth through parts of this book. It really makes you feel. I even cried at a couple of points. 
I'd never heard of Katie McGarry a couple of months ago, but now I think she is amazing and I hope she becomes more popular. Her writing is amazing. 

I strongly recommend you check her books out. 
I'm now counting down until book 3 comes out which will be called 'Crash Into You' and will be Isaiah's story. I cannot wait! But seeing as this book isn't even officially out yet, I know I've got a long wait ahead.

My Rating
                  

2 comments:

Jim said...

Great review! I loved Pushing The Limits so I can't wait for this one.

barmybex said...

Thanks! If you loved PTL then you will definitely love this one. :D