Tuesday 8 January 2013

Top 12 of 2012: 7 Kiera Cass


Welcome to day 7 of my Top 12

I was originally drawn to this book by it's cover. I know, I know - you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but this one was just so gorgeous I knew I had to pick it up.
The Selection (The Selection, #1)

See, isn't it beautiful. I have a thing about fancy dresses and this is just.... WOW.

Then I read the blurb and I thought it was a really different concept and looked like fun. I soon fell in love with the story.

Synopsis
Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.



The idea behind this seemed so realistic - like this could happen. These days with shows like Beauty & The Geek, Big Brother etc, it's practically there!
I was actually surprised that I liked it as I can't stand those sort of T.V shows, but for me this book was done just right.

So, here are my tips for surviving if you got picked for 'The Selection'

1) Mind your manners, nobody likes rudeness
2) You don't have to be 'pretty' just be happy with your own assets and know how to look your best
3) Make sure you have an opinion of your own, nobody likes a sheep
4) Be nice to your fellow contestants - after all they're going through this too.
5) Do not trust your fellow contestants - they are in this to win
6) Try not to insult the Prince, he decides whether you stay or not
7) On the other hand, he may appreciate your honesty - tell him what you think!
8) Make sure you know how to dance, it will be expected of you
9) Act like a lady especially when eating. Nobody likes bad table manners
10) Remember where you came from, it made you who you are and ultimately got you picked for this process
11) Don't hold on too tight to your past, learn, grow, develop. Become more.
12) Watch out for back handed techniques and set ups from your fellow contestants. Know how to counter-act their actions. But do not get caught doing anything wrong.
13) Be yourself. That's the most important one!


I made those up, and tried to bass them on America from what I could remember of her character. :D

I read this book back in August and it still floats in my thoughts, I got my own copy for Christmas and was so happy. Definitely going to be a re-read. And now I am counting down until I can get hold of book 2. It's just as pretty.
Do you want to see?
Here you go:
The Elite (The Selection, #2)

Who else is excited???

Check out Kiera's Website
And The Selection Facebook Page

Come back tomorrow for my next pick of 2012.

Don't forget you can win one of the featured books from any of the days if you go to the 'Introduction post', any time during the duration of this feature (1st - 14th Jan) Earn extra entries for spreading the news.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, the cover is gorgeous. You gotta love a girl in a pretty dress!

barmybex said...

Totally!!! Thanks for stopping by. :D

colourfulchatterbox said...

This book is fantastic.

I loved it so much and I cannot wait for the sequel!! :D

barmybex said...

I know!!!
I saw a fellow blogger with an advanced copy and nearly reached through the screen to try and grab it. So jealous.