Thursday 27 October 2011

Book Review - Elemental Reality

Title: Elemental Reality
Author: Cesya Marae Cuono
Series: Elemental (book 1)
Publisher: Revolution Publishing
Release Date: 9 Aug 2011


Synopsis
When Callie Pierce was ten, her mother disappeared without a trace. On the eve of her disappearance twelve years later, the earth seemingly comes alive. The elements speak to Callie, and that's only the beginning. Everything she has ever known was a twisted fabrication to protect her. Now the truth is set free. Callie and her sister are more powerful than any Faerie ever born. Now they have to use their powers to save their mother and family from the evil hands of fate that threaten to tear them apart. Welcome to her elemental reality.
  
My Review
I received a signed copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but the blurb sounded good and the cover is beautiful! So pretty, one of my favourites in a long time.
Callie is 22 and has a good life, she lives at home with her dad and sometimes her sister, she has two amazing best friends and a job she is good at. But something is missing, ever since her mother disappeared without trace or reason 12 years prior Callie hasn't felt the same and wonders what happened. As she turns 22 she starts to experience strange dreams and she feels things more closely, a lit candle on teh other side of the room heats her skin, she can smell rain before it arrives etc. When the truth about her and her sister comes out, her world is turned upside down and she must learn to control her powers to help get her mum back.
I liked Callie as a character, although she acts more like a seventeen year old in places, but then again, I'm only 23 and a lot of her behaviour reminded me of things I would still do now so I  guess I'm just as immature. :D
The book is narrated from Callie's point of view and she is a great narrator, funny, sensitive, emotional, crazy, just everything you could want from a character.
Lola is a bit of a mystery to me, some scenes I would really like her and she'd come across quite sweet and sensitive but with a fiery attitude, then others she would turn and I wouldn't like her very much. The cliffhanger ending had me stumped though.
Of course there is a love triangle involved - Cayden the bad boy. I did not like him and wasn't surprised by what happens in the story.
Oli however had me melting straight away. So handsome, sensitive, strong, caring and devastatingly handsome. Can you tell which boy I'm voting for?
The story pace is good and I got through this one quite quickly, my attention has been wandering a bit lately as I have a lot going on, so this book was perfect, it wasn't too long but it captured my imagination again. So thanks for that. :D
I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would and want the next one in the series. The ending annoyed me a little bit as it's so open and a sort of 'gasp!' ending.

My Rating
I would give this book 9/10. Great twist on the fairy element and exciting read. 

No comments: