Sunday 26 February 2012

Book Review - The End Of The World

Title: The End Of The World
Author: Derek Landy
Series: Skulduggery Pleasant (novella, book 6.5)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books; World Book Day
Release Date: 23 Feb 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0007458202

Synopsis
Skulduggery and Valkyrie are back, in an exclusive World Book Day novelette, set after the momentous events of Death Bringer…
Hey, punks! Skulduggery and Valkyrie are about to make your day…
15-year-old Ryan is running away from home, looking for escape and adventure. But unfortunately, sometimes people DO get what they wish for. Ryan hasn’t gone far before he is set upon by a bunch of scary, nihilistic punk-sorcerers who need him to set off a doomsday device that will destroy the planet and everyone on it. Fun!
Riding to the rescue, however, is a certain skeleton detective and his teenage partner/combat accessory. Now Skulduggery and Valkyrie only have a few hours to figure out what's going on, while saving Ryan and – incidentally – the whole world.
And all that time, the punk-sorcerors are closing in…


My Review
This is a novella, there is a scheme in the UK and Ireland where children are provided with a £1 book token which can be exchanged for a specially released short book. If you want to know more check out the website here.
I found out months ago that Derek Landy was writing a short story as part of this scheme and I litereally screamed. So exciting. This is one of my all time favourite series, I have met Landy twice and Skulduggery Pleasant is just EPIC!
I couldn't wait for book day, plus I'm too old to recieve a voucher (though we do get them at the library to hand out), but I saw this on amazon with early release and even better it was only 80p so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I read it in about 40 minutes tops. I was of course laughing out loud throughout, Skulduggery and Valkyrie still have their witty rapport and verbal jibes with one another and their enemies.
Ryan craves adventure, but when he gets mixed up in a plan to end the world he has to rely on Skulduggery and Valkyrie to get him out of it and stop the bad guys before they cause a massive explosion and destroy the world.
If you love Skulduggery, this is a perfect addition to your collection, and if you don't love Skulduggery, what's the matter with you? seriously, are you ill? and if you haven't heard of the series, check it out immediately - you won't regret it.
I now can't wait until September for book 7 to come out. So far away, I don't know what I will do until then.

My Rating

2 comments:

Debdatta Dasgupta said...

You have been Tagged... It would be great if you could join in, but its completely understandable if you prefer not to. If you choose to answer and do the tag, do let me know so I can check out your answers. You Have Been Tagged at:
http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/2012/02/tagged-yet-again.html

barmybex said...

Thanks for the tag, Post is above. :D