Saturday 24 May 2014

Book Review - City of Bones

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (book1)
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Release Date: 2 July 2007
ISBN-13: 978-1406307627

Synopsis
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...  


My Review
I have had these books on my shelves for years, but have never got round to reading them, they were always my 'one day I'll read them' books. Then a couple of weeks ago my dad bought me the DVD of the movie, but I can't watch the film until I have read the books - that is my rule. So out came the book. 
I have heard some truly amazing things about this series so I was hopeful that this would sweep me into an incredible new world and I would be hooked. Unfortunately I wasn't though, don't get me wrong - i did enjoy the book but nothing about it made me go WOW! I will admit that I haven't exactly been in the best of moods lately which can affect the way you enjoy a book I know. But we can only ever review the book as we read them so here goes.
I liked the start, I was intrigued and wanted to know more, the world was introduced well and the characters made you want to get to know them. The revealing of Clary's sight pulled me in and I found myself turning the pages to find out more. Overall I actually think this book is done well - it reveals the world bit by bit, adding more of the magic and mystery to it as you go and makes you feel part of it. 
I liked Clary as a character, she has a fiery determination to her and a fairly sarcastic wit which I liked. 
Jace - now I had heard rumours about Jace - that he was the 'ultimate book boyfriend' and 'totally dreamy' etc etc. But to be honest, I jsut thought he was a smarmy git who needed to get over himself. He really irritated me for most of the book, I only started to warm to him in the later part of the book and even only then a little bit. I just didn't like his attitude and blatant disregard for others. He has his redeeming moments but mostly I'd say he's a bit of a git.
Now as for Simon for the first half of the book I wondered what his purpose was. From what I saw of him I was pretty sure the plot could have progressed just as easily if he didn't exist, but I liked him, he's a bit like a lost puppy but I liked him. I just hoped his part would become more relevant later.
The rest of the characters help to create the world and bring it to life. I really like Isabelle - she's sassy, and Luke is a mystery. 
The world is very well created and the characters do come across as real and the sort of people you could meet. I liked the idea of the different groups and the history behind their organisation.
I wouldn't say that this book was totally amazing,
maybe I just missed something that everyone else got with it, but I did enjoy it and am glad I read it. I am curious enough to read the next one and have already started it.

My Rating

 

No comments: