Wednesday 28 May 2014

Book Review - City of Glass

Title: City of Glass
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (Book 3)
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 22 Jun 2009
ISBN-13: 978-1406307641

Synopsis
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?


My Review
After finishing book 2 and having really enjoyed it I was quite looking forward to this one. I wanted to know what would come of Clary's mum and Valentine's plot. So I got stuck right in. At 543 pages this one was 100 pages bigger than the previous 2, so I was looking forward to an action packed book. 
I started off quite well, I liked Simon's part and the explosive beginning with the portal, but for me it went downhill after that. I found my attention starting to wander, but I persevered. But I got to page 300 and very nearly gave up. Clary seemed to be a bit whiny, life wasn't fair, it was all too hard, she seemed to have lost some of that kick ass spark that she had. It re-appeared in moments but she started to annoy me. Jace does the dark and brooding thing too well, I just wanted to tell him to get over himself. In an online vote last year he was announced as the Hottest YA Male, the 'Book Boyfriend' we all want - well, there must be something wrong with me because I just don't see the appeal, he's just an arrogant jerk, sure he has his softer side but it appears all too rarely.
There was so much build up in this book, padding and information, I just wanted it to get on with it. BUt the last 80 pages it did pick up a bit again, the big battle was some very good writing and had me gripped once more.
After wanting to give up at about half way, I then finished and actually wanted to read the next book. What is it about this series that keeps me reading, I feel like I'm not enjoying it that much and then something happens that pulls me back in. There is something captivating about the world and the characters.
I'm just hoping the next book gets better again. I shall persevere for now.

My Rating
     
 

1 comment:

Nina said...

I have heard mixed things about this series. And even though I did like the movie, I'm not sure if I'm going to read the books. I do hope you enjoy reading the third book and that it's way better than the second one.