Tuesday 13 May 2014

Book Review - Pyrate's Boy

Title: Pyrates Boy
Author: E. B Colin
Publisher: Kelpies
Release Date: 19 Sep 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1782500131

Synopsis
'The boy looks about seven or eight years old and should weigh next to nothing. And yet it takes four men to drag him out of the water. We soon realise why. Padlocked around his ankle is a thick metal chain, which plummets right down to the sea's bottom. If we want to save him, we have to pull up the chain. And whatever is at the end of it.' Silas Orr, an 11-year-old runaway from Greenock, is saved from certain death by Captain Jon Harkin, aka the infamous pirate Black Johnnie. Choosing to stay aboard, he becomes pirate's boy on the feared ship Tenacity. Now the crew have rescued another drowning boy, but this one has a lead box chained to his ankle. What could be precious enough to keep safe with a human buoy? Whatever it is, someone will come looking for it. Silas must help Johnnie discover the child's secret and outwit their pursuers. But life on the high seas isn't easy. Silas' adventures become more and more dangerous as he escapes from an erupting volcano, navigates through treacherous coral reefs, and encounters a knifewielding, cartwheeling girl. The pirates' exploits take them from Jamaica to Glasgow -- but what awaits Silas there?

My Review
My mum was looking for a Pirate themed book to give to her children's book group at work and this one came up. She asked if I would read it and give her my opinion over the weekend so I agreed, it was fairly short so I knew it wouldn't take me long.
To be honest I had the weekend from hell, and I wasn't really in the mood for a book but I wanted something to distract my mind and I picked this up. For a short time it worked, this book actually did manage to draw me in and take me away from reality for just a little while.
The book follows Silas, a ships boy travelling on 'Tenacity' under Black Johnnie. During their travels they come across a young boy who has been left floating in the ocean - it takes four men to pull him on board as he has a metal chain and box attached to his ankle and here starts all the problems - what is the box and who is after it?
I liked Silas - he's quite cheeky and full of adventure and I couldn't help but like him and want to know more about their adventures. The only niggle was that he seemed very well spoken for someone of his age and position, but he does tell a great story so you can forgive that.
This is an exciting read of adventure and mischief, I wouldn't say it was amazing and I don't think i would read it again but it was very enjoyable and I think children would enjoy it.

My Rating
    

No comments: