Saturday 22 June 2013

Book Review - Lord Sunday

Title: Lord Sunday
Author: Garth Nix
Series: Keys to the Kingdom (book 7)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 4 Mar 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0007175130

Synopsis
The House is falling apart, and when it is destroyed, all existence will be destroyed with it. Arthur Penhaligon and his friends Leaf and Suzy must use every power at their disposal - magical or practical - to defeat the enemies attacking them from all sides.
For Arthur, the most formidable challenge comes from Lord Sunday, the most elusive of the Trustees of the Will. Lord Sunday's magic is unlike anything Arthur has encountered before - and his secrets have the potential to destroy not only Arthur, but also all the people he holds dear.


My Review
I got bored with this series in book 5 and 6, but decided that I had come this far and I was so close to the end that I had to finish. I just hoped this book would be better, it had a lot to wrap up and questions to answer and a lot of expectations to meet.
I actually did find myself enjoying this one more to start with, I went into it with an open mind, and I liked the set up, Leaf trapped at the hospital after the catastrophe, Suzy taking more control and stepping up and then Arthur - finally accepting what he is and willing to use his powers. Then we meet Lord Sunday, Saturday was a disappointment to me so I wanted him to be a formidable enemy and he seemed like he would be, he doesn't just fold or give up, he fights back making Arthur work for his success. 
But then it slowed down, Arthur gets trapped, tries to escape and find the Will etc, but it's drawn out. Parts of it were good, I liked the twist with 'elephant' but the rest was trying to build up the tension a little bit too much.
I love that Leaf is more involved, but it seemed quite forced, like he couldn't really come up with a logical reason for her being there so he adds in a few disasters and twists and there she is. But in the big scheme she still doesn't really do much.
I did feel like this book got a bit slow again, at one point I was literally just reading because I wanted to finish, I almost just read the last chapter but held myself back.
BUt at the same time I would come across bits of the story I really enjoyed again and would speed up again. This book really kept me on the fence.
By the time I reached the last chapter I actually would have said overall that I actually did enjoy the book, I felt a bit happier, then that last chapter happened - WHAT WAS THAT?!?!
Seriously, what was that ending, what was the point of it. Where was he going with that? it was just seriously weird and totally unbelievable in my opinion. I just didn't get it. I mean Why?
So overall, I don't really know what to say, yes it had good moments but it also had slow ones too, I wasn't left with a satisfied feeling of finishing a good series, I felt a bit deflated actually. Quite disappointing. But if you've come this far in the series it has to be read.

My Rating
     

No comments: