Sunday 2 June 2013

Book Review - Matilda

Title: Matilda
Author: Raold Dahl
Publisher: Rily Publications
Release Date: 9 Dec 2008
ISBN-13: 978-1904357056
First Published: 1988

Synopsis
Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a kid-hating terror of a headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she suddenly discovers she has a remarkable power with which to fight back. It'll take a superhuman genius to give Miss Trunchbull what she deserves and Matilda may be just the one to do it! 

My Review
Matilda was one of my all time favourite movies when I was young, I would watch it over and over and I can still pretty much recite it! I adored it, but I never read the book. I'm not sure why, I just didn't. Then as I got older I worried that I would be disappointed with it. I loved the film so much I didn't want it to be different. 
I was talking to my best friend the other day about books and this came up and I told her I hadn't read it. She was shocked but assured me it was very similar to the film and that I should try it. We had some new stock come in at the library and there was a copy of this. I love a new book so I decided to give it a read, I knew it wouldn't take me long - there are a lot of illustrations throughout the text and the font is quite big anyway. 
And I have to say the book and movie are very close to each other, a lot of the dialogue was used directly in the film which I loved. I was surprised by how close they were to each other, films don't usually come out that faithful, but this was perfect. 
The main story of Matilda is of course completely ridiculous and pretty much impossible, but as it is written with Roald Dahl's charm and wicked sense of humour, you can't help but love everything about it.
Matilda is an amazing child, at just 4 years old she has taught herself to read, her parents leave her alone every afternoon and she finds her way to the local library where she devours book after book. Her parents see her as a nuisance and complete pain and don't understand why she would want to read. She is then sent off to school where she has to face the Headteacher, evil Miss Trunchbull who hates children and is very extreme. But there is a light in Matilda's life and that is her class teacher Miss Honey who is sweet and caring and completely blown away by Matilda. 
Matilda is intelligent and witty, she is brave and tough and very caring but she never shows off or tries to draw attention to herself. She is very humble and sweet and you can't help but love her. 
Her parents are horrible but really make me laugh, they are just so stupid. I love how Matilda tries to punish them for their bad behaviour, but maybe shouldn't be putting ideas in kids heads for practical jokes.
Overall I finished this in about an hour and really enjoyed it, it is clear why Roald Dahl is so popular as kids would love this.

My Rating
    

2 comments:

Annette Mills said...

OMG. I've seen the movie so many times -- my kids are in there 20s and they still quote it REGULARLY... I've never read the book either, and I saw that it was the 25th anniversary and I vowed to read it! Thanks for the encouragement!

barmybex said...

:D Glad I'm not the only one. I used to drive my parents mad quoting it.
You should definitely pick it up, wouldn't take you long to read at all.