Tuesday 25 December 2012

Book Review - The Demigod Diaries

Title: The Demigod Diaries
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Heroes of Olympus (special)
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 6 Sep 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0141344379

Synopsis
What dangers do runaway demigods Luke and Thalia face on their way to Camp Half-Blood? Are Percy and Annabeth up to the task of rescuing stolen goods from a fire-breathing giant who doesn't take kindly to intruders? How exactly are Leo, Piper, and Jason supposed to find a runaway table, dodge a band of party-loving Maenads" ("who just might be a little psychotic), and stave off a massive explosion...all in one hour or less?
With his trademark wit and creativity, Rick Riordan answers these questions and more in three never-before-seen short stories that provide vital back-story to the Heroes of Olympus and Percy Jackson books. Original art, enlightening character interviews and profiles, puzzles, and a quiz add to the fun in this action-packed collection.


My Review
I am a huge fan of the Percy Jackson books and try to get my hands on anything that comes out that is related to it. So when I heard about this I knew I had to read it. This book contains 3 short stories, Luke and Thalia making their way to Camp Half Blood for the first time, Percy & Annabeth recovering a stolen item from a fire-brathing giant and then Leo, Piper and Jason trying to stop an explosion from destroying the camp.
Fans of the series will love this, it offers a deeper insight into the world and another side to some of the characters. 
The stories are each about 20-30 pages and really get you hooked. This book also contains little quiz pages which include identifying the Gods by Greek and Roman names, anagrams, wordsearches and more. (I got this as a library book so couldn't write in it, and I don't like writing in books anyway but i did photocopy the wordsearches etc so I could do it)
This book also has one more thing in it - a short story written by Haley Riordan- Rick's son. This story isn't related to the main characters but you can see where it fits in and draws in some of the other storylines. For someone his age he has a great talent for writing and takes after his dad. The story really captured my imagination and it fit so well with the whole world of Percy Jackson.

This is a real delight for all fans and well worth getting a copy. I will be buying a copy I can keep. Just magical.

My Rating

No comments: