Saturday 29 December 2012

Book Review - Hidden

Title: Hidden
Author: P.C & Kristin Cast
Series: House of Night (book 10)
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: 16 Oct 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1905654888

Synopsis
At last, Zoey has what she wanted: the truth is out. Neferet's evil has been exposed, and the High Council is no longer on her side - but she's far from done wreaking havoc in the vampyre world.

With the seeds of distrust sown and Darkness breeding chaos at the House of Night, everyone must band together - but that's proving to be more difficult than ever before. The twins are barely speaking and the House of Night's former enemy, Kalona, has now become their warrior, pushing their trust to the limits. To top it all off, Zoey is pretty darn sure she might be losing her mind - she saw something when she looked at Neferet's minion, Aurox, through the Seer Stone that she can hardly explain to herself, let alone her friends. Zoey knows that following her instincts might be just what they need to defeat evil... but if she's wrong, it could cause the destruction of those closest to her.

With the tension at a breaking point and friendships on the line, can the nerd herd come together to stop the spread of Darkness before it's too late?

My Review
I really got into this series but waiting between release dates takes so long that by the time the newest one comes out I've forgotten most of what has happened. Luckily my friend also reads this series so when this book came into the library for me we had a chat about what had come before. I sort of had a vague idea where things stood so I decided to make a start with this.
Book 10 in the series this is really only for those who have read the rest of the series as there is a heck of a lot of back story come before. Other readers would be lost, but that works in a way as the story gets straight to the point and doesn't fill up pages trying to get you up to speed. And I did find that the story came back to me and I was once again immersed into the world and it almost felt like coming back to meet old friends. I am so invested with this series now that I feel like I know the characters. 
This book is relatively short at just 309 pages and I read this in about three hours. 
Things are getting worse for the fledglings at the House of Night, Neferet may have been revealed as evil but now she is open to do what she wants and she is not going to stop until she has control. 
Zoey and her group must come together and try to stop the Darkness from taking over but as friendships fail and new hurdles try to stop them along the way.
I still like Zoey as a character but she is not my favourite, Stevie-Rae has much more sass and attitude and Aphrodite may be a b with an itch but at least she says what she is thinking - you know where you stand with her. Shaunee is beginning to come into her own and is vastly becoming one of the front runners and I really like her, she is not full of fight and flare but she has a good inner courage and I can tell in the future she will be a great character. 
Neferet is a deliciously creepy enemy and makes your blood run cold, her black magic is seriously freaky.
 The plot is quite fast paced and carries you through the story, it's a whirlwind of battles, trouble and emotional upheaval. I really enjoyed it and was surprised by how much I got into it again. Sometimes long series can turn a bit sour but I was pleasantly surprised with this one.
Warning for younger readers there are swear words in it and some scenes containing sexual references. 

My Rating
     
  

No comments: