Friday 28 December 2012

Book Review - Mist

Title: Mist
Author: Kathryn James
Series: Mist (book 1)
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Release Date: 1 Sep 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1444903065

 Synopsis
There's something in the mist - as beautiful as starlight, as fierce as wolves, as heartless as ice.
Midnight, in the woods. Nell searches for her sister, who has disappeared into the mist. She's always thought the stories were old wives tales.
Have you heard of the lost girls? The go into the woods and never come back...
Nell knows she is way out of her depth, but she can't help being drawn to the mist ans to the mysterious Evan with his pale skin and charcoal eyes. Does he hold the key to saving her sister?

 My Review
This is another book I have had out of the library for ages, i almost gave it back a number of times but something kept me holding onto it, I just couldn't give it up. And I'm so glad I didn't because I really enjoyed it. 
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with this book, one website classed it as a 'thriller' which put me off a bit but it's not scary at all, just exciting. 
Nell is our protagonist, a bit of an outcast, not into hair or make up - the opposite of her super popular sister Gwen. When she meets a new boy at school, Evan, she thinks she may have found a friend but he's even more unusual than her, and things start to get odd. Everyone knows they shouldn't go near the Mist in the woods, especially after dark. Gwen decides to have a birthday party in the woods after dark but when she suddenly disappears it's up to Nell to get her back.
Nell comes across as slightly wimpy and a bit out of it at the start of the book and I wasn't sure if I would like her, but something drew me to her and she does have hidden depths. When it really counts she steps up and actually takes a stand. 
Gwen is the typical stuck up, selfish sister who doesn't consider the consequences of her actions, but their sisterly relationship was real and through that you really hope Nell manages to get her back. 
Evan is a sort of typical YA boy, mysterious, cute, annoying, good, bad, conflicted, hero, everything all in one. You can't help but like him and then want to slap him. I like the building tension between him and Nell, it's great to have a YA that doesn't go through the whole 'insta-love' scenario, they start as friends and act like friends and you can feel the growing tension between them. I hope they meet again in book 2. I've already requested it and can't wait to read it.
This is a book filled with magic, mystery, adventure, and whole other worlds. It really captured my imagination and I love it. I read it in a couple of hours, I just didn't want to put it down. A must read. :D

My Rating
       

No comments: