Friday 21 December 2012

Book Review - Still Standing: The Savage Years

Title: Still Standing: The Savage Years
Author: Paul O'Grady
Book 3
Publisher: Bantam Press
Release Date: 11 Oct 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0593069394

Synopsis
The third installment of rollicking adventures from Britain's best loved entertainer.
Paul O'Grady shot to fame via his finest comic creation, the blonde bombsite Lily Savage. The first two volumes of his bestselling, critically acclaimed autobiography covered Paul's childhood and the origins of Lily. Now, for the first time, Paul tells the no-holds-barred story of Lily herself: The early years on stage, the journey to stardom and the hilarious misadventures along the way. Packed with extraordinary true stories which will simultaneously make your hair curl and your ribs shake with laughter, expect the unexpected in this surefire bestseller.


My Review
I have long been a fan of Paul O'Grady and have read his previous two books (At My Mother's Knee & The Devil Rides Out). He always makes me laugh and I love his open honesty. He's not afraid to say what he thinks and I admire that.
This book starts in the years just before Lily Savage came about, Paul spends his time doing drag acts in seedy pubs and clubs with his friends, this book is packed with reminiscent tales of their adventures, successes and failures. With a host of characters that would fit in well with any soap opera you'll be laughing and crying throughout this book. 
Written with all of O'Grady's charm and wit this book reads just as if he was talking to you, and offers an in depth look into his world and how he got to where he is today.
This book covers a lot of years of Paul's life however I was a bit disappointed that it didn't cover the years that he did Blankety Blank on TV as that was when I really got to 'know' Lily Savage when I was growing up.  
In some ways this book covers some of Paul's sadder years - he goes through a lot of losses and deaths but somehow still manages to remain his determined self.
I'm not a mass fan of autobiographies - I have to be really interested in the person and I have to say Paul O'Grady's are always a joy to read. 
He's said that he has only planned for 3 but I hope he does another one.
  
This book does contain material that isn't suitable for younger audiences including drugs, sex and a bit of violence.

My Rating
     
  

No comments: